+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cartridge

I'm Hugo.

Default New Cartridge

I have been wondering if I really need to play around with MC step up transformers, and luckily managed to get a lightly used Audio Note IQ3, which is now playing tunes:

It's sounding rather good!

I'm David.

looking good too chief

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Another bloody Goldring

What's different about this one?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm stu.

Lovely.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Another bloody Goldring

Do your research and you will find out.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Another bloody Goldring

A lot, such as rewinding the coils and increasing the frequency response. It is just a great, musical cart that responds well to mods. My Reson Reca is much more refined than the standard G1042, haven't heard Audio Note or Roksan equivalents.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    Do your research and you will find out.
    I did, and I really do hope a new one's worth the extra slurp added to the base price by the middle-men involved
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Hugo.

Now why do you have to be so negative about everything? The IQ3 (as you well know) has a titanium cantilever and the same stylus tip as fitted to Io cartridges, both of which cost a bit of money to produce and assemble. I presume you know what Goldring charge Audio Note, Roksan and Reson for the special body used on their MM cartridges; also how much it costs to make the IQ3's unique stylus assembly?

I don't care that manufacturers and dealers can make a living out of selling these things and anything else for that matter. People are in business to do business and that is how the world goes round.

More importantly, the IQ3 does sound rather good - probably rather better than the Ortofon 2M Black, which sits at the bottom end of the same overall price category. I suspect that, even at full retail price for a new IQ3, it may represent good value against many MC cartridges in the same price bracket, but without the cost and complication of a MC SUT or decent MC gain stage.

So far, I'm very pleased indeed with the IQ3.
    Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 23-05-2013 at 14:11.

synsei Guest

I would also mention that it demonstrates just how capable the standard Goldring 10 series actually is that such esteemed manufacturers choose to use it as the basis for their high end MM carts

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I would also mention that it demonstrates just how capable the standard Goldring 10 series actually is that such esteemed manufacturers choose to use it as the basis for their high end MM carts
    Indeed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast