+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Cartridges

Default Same to SPU

Ortofon 'SPU-A'

I'm Guy.

I don't know about 'classic' but it's old & I'm enjoying it!

Mayware MC-2V. Sounds much more natural than the forced presentation I hear in many modern MC's.
    Last edited by pure sound; 01-03-2008 at 14:06.

Nice one Guy, sound good don't they?Try get 'MC-7' they are cool.

I'm Guy.

I have to admit that reading their blurb sheet again, I do like the cut of their jib! They do seem to have been trying to offer good vfm and by the looks of it (read the bottom, banned from HFN!) were upsetting certain other companies/importers by doing so.

I would like to hear the MC7 but have never seen one for sale. I suspect my MC2 is a rarity now and only survives because its been packed away for 22 years. Any that are around are probably shagged or would need to be re-built. These aren't Koetsu's or Kiseki's so don't have the cachet and prestige that might have made them worth keeping in service. However, if you know what goes into making an MC you'll also know how similar (beneath the fancy wood bodies) most MC's actually are. The MC2 doesn't suffer in comparison with most of those more 'exotic' designs. It too was made in Japan iirc.

MC-7 don't look like the 'MC-2' guy it more square & plain with a thinish metal top/mounting plate..The 'T24' transformers are suprisingly good sounding...I kick my self on a regular basis for not still having them..

Mayware gave you amazing value for money with no hyped prices.Well it's not that hard to imagine who complained about them!

I'm Guy.

I do wonder how closely the MC2 resembles the SPU internally. It sounds perhaps more like one of those than anything else I can readily think of. 3 ohms too.

Any pics of the MC7 or the transformer?

No Pics i'll keep a look out.

Here just for u guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuXcALotv68

Default Technics 205C, MKIII

At least those boyz at Technics made something decent

Default Mayware 'MC-2'

I'm Neal.

I had a P77 for a very short while, bought from Acoustic f-Arts in Watford, dull as ditch water and thick sounding, not clear at all...I took it back and demanded my money back LOL! All credit to AA they obliged! Then went for the MP11, it was OK then tried an AT-F3 MC (still have it) complete opposite to the P77, all bright and no bass, moved quickly to the AT-F5 which was much better but made the mistake of selling it with my Logic DM101..... Happy times!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast