+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blind Testing

I'm Neil.

There is a big difference between an ABX test outside of the context of your own system, own room and own music and a more meaningful test where you do something like use Foobar2000's ABX plugin to compare files (where I did find that I could reliably spot the difference between FLAC and 320kbps files, and less reliably, between FLAC and AIFF), or conduct blind testing by switching between kit that you know, in your room, with your kit... I know that I couldn't hope to pass an ABX test in an alien environment, but I know 100% that I can spot the difference between level-matched DACs, amps and preamps in my own system blind, because I've tried it.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    There is a big difference between an ABX test outside of the context of your own system, own room and own music and a more meaningful test where you do something like use Foobar2000's ABX plugin to compare files (where I did find that I could reliably spot the difference between FLAC and 320kbps files, and even between FLAC and AIFF), or conduct blind testing by switching between kit that you know, in your room, with your kit... I know that I couldn't hope to pass an ABX test in an alien environment, but I know 100% that I can spot the difference between level-matched DACs, amps and preamps in my own system blind, because I've tried it.
    That's an interesting perspective. There are certain aspects which are so very easy for me to differentiate in my own system & room, eg sound stage width, depth, central focus and lots more. But I don't need a blind test to do this as I know my environment and system so well. Maybe a blind test is more applicable to an alien environment, but it maybe harder to do this well as you say. It certainly takes a while dial into a new environment and if ABX is harder in such an environment there's a dilemma as most of our listening is in our own rooms.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm ILOB.

I am certainly in the trust my own ears camp and totally agree its about hearing it in the context of my own equipment and environment, with a selection of music I know really well. I try to keep a open mind and will go back and fourth a few times usually, but sometimes there is no need for this as the differences are so obvious.
    For me the danger is in thinking what I hear applies to everyone tastes. equipment and environment. What works for me may not work for someone else.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Geoff.

There's a big difference between blind testing with members of 'Joe Public' and doing it with a bunch of Hi-Fi buffs. The results are interesting. I've seen this done years ago on a couple of occasions.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There's a big difference between blind testing with members of 'Joe Public' and doing it with a bunch of Hi-Fi buffs. The results are interesting. I've seen this done years ago on a couple of occasions.
    Very interesting please elaborate? Part of me thinks Joe Public does better and the buffs over analyse...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Clive.

Would Joe Public listen for the esoteric we do? No and maybe he's happier for it!

The more I think about it blind A/B testing can only pick out relatively gross differences. The DB ABXers who tell me they need my ABX results if they are to listen to me will now get from me, "if I'm to listen to you views you need to tell me about your long-term auditioning conclusions". Yes I pick out differences from an A/B comparison but those differences may not be important, more something you acclimatise to. Long term listening is worth doing once you're sure there's nothing major out of kilter.
    Last edited by Clive; 22-05-2013 at 08:26.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Clive, what will your 2000th post be...? Make it good!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Very interesting please elaborate? Part of me thinks Joe Public does better and the buffs over analyse...
    You have that about right. From what I recall, what the Hi-Fi buffs liked was described as "too bright" by 'Joe Public' and anything that 'Joe Public' described as having "a nice tone", was described by the Hi-Fi buffs as coloured or inaccurate.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If I recall correctly, Harman go so far as to train up a listener panel in order to do their testing...yes this is it...

http://seanolive.blogspot.co.uk/2011...isten-now.html

The rest of Mr Olive's column makes for an interesting read too.
    Meridian 200/263 into Quad 66/606 into Harbeth M30.1. Sometimes a Samsung laptop into an Epiphany Acoustics E-Dac into the Quads.

I'm Paul.

The problem as I see it with any audio DB tests (including ABx) is that you'll never get consistency between tests nor anything like a large enough sample to really draw any meaningful conclusions other than "on this occasion this (small) group preferred A or B or C" unless there are significant differences between what you are testing for.

Things like DBT's for other research (medical for example) involve thousands of sample numbers.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what can or cannot be proved (this coming from a techy!) but what you personally prefer yourself as you are the ultimate arbitor, not a select group of golden eared testers (or not). All imho of course.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast