+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Well i never

I'm Nobody.

Default Well i never

Ive never ever noticed such a change in sound between TT mats as i have today! I swapped over an old cheap rubber matt for a 5mm acrylic mat , the changes were a duller more thick heavy sound. I Immediatly swapped it back.Whats all that in aid of?? Adjust VTA accordingly to additional thickness but still the same results!

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Ive never ever noticed such a change in sound between TT mats as i have today! I swapped over an old cheap rubber matt for a 5mm acrylic mat , the changes were a duller more thick heavy sound. I Immediatly swapped it back.Whats all that in aid of?? Adjust VTA accordingly to additional thickness but still the same results!
    I would guess that you prefer the sound of rubber to acrylic

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Yep !! When I really got into this game I was literally shocked that a simple mat could have such an effect on sonics etc. People who aint into hifi cant believe when you tell them that a mat can change the sound, I shared this with non hifi colleagues at work (they know my passion for music) and they are like 'What ? a mat can change the sound - nah !!?! I remember my first real experience of this was with the sticky soft foamy Sound hifi mat (Herbies I think they call it too). I'd read so much about it and how it fitted inside the stock Techie platter lip and therefore was perfect blah blah. Anyway, put it in place got tune on and couldn't believe the dull, veiled sound that came back at me even after a little vta fettling it was as if someone had put a bloody duvet over my speakers, that was the effect in my system let me tell you now - You've never seen a man retrieve a stock 3mm Techie mat so fast in all your life

I'm Geoff.

Try a felt mat Andr'e. That'll sound totally different too (but I expect you know that).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nobody.

The best mat to my ears, i seem to own is the hard ribbed one i saved from an original Rega 'Planar 2'
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 25-05-2013 at 11:30.

I'm george.

Ever since I started using an old k-tel record as a mat, I realised the difference it can make, I started off using real old heavy vinyl,but now look for the lightest thinnest cheapo ones at boot sales and the difference is definitely there....but it differs from tt to tt and may not suit all,but well worth a try

+ Reply to Thread