+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shill of the Century

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I know there's an "in" joke about myself and others being shills, but frankly only an idiot would believe it - yes, I say positive things about Rega in particular, but that's only because they offer a good product at a good price (as well as being British) but the example on PFM really does take the biscuit! Self-promotion is one thing - fraud is quite another, and only right that PFM & Wam won't tolerate it, and neither would we.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Alex, you, me and hifi dave are FAR worse because our approach is far more subtle - apparently. I think I'll stick to Cambridge Audio in future
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Alex, you, me and hifi dave are FAR worse because our approach is far more subtle - apparently. I think I'll stick to Cambridge Audio in future
    Nothing wrong with Cambridge Audio - I get 15% on every sale!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Peter.

The gear that the dealer in question stocks is probably only bought by a few dozen well-heeled, knowledgable enthusiasts in the UK. Why would he risk blowing his reputation with them by pulling such a stupid trick? Must be desperate for business, I guess.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Nothing wrong with Cambridge Audio - I get 15% on every sale!
    I want to recruit Jammy-dodger to our cause. I mean, he has never joined this forum yet continually takes a pop from the supposed safety of under RD's ample skirts I mean, he seems so excited at the prospect of upgrading his little amp for a new Elicit R when it arrives he keeps going on and on about it, when in fact I couldn't really give a toss at the price it's going to be To suggest that you're the jam in dave and my shill-sandwich is hilarious - he obviously has never met you

Enjoy Butlitz with the kids
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I want to recruit Jammy-dodger to our cause. I mean, he has never joined this forum yet continually takes a pop from the supposed safety of under RD's ample skirts
    He doesn't have the balls Dave!

To suggest that you're the jam in dave and my shill-sandwich is hilarious - he obviously has never met you
    But I'm the impressionable "Little Alex"with no mind of my own!

Enjoy Butlitz with the kids
    Cheers buddy!
    Alex

I'm Alex.

Wow, that is quite shockingly brazen. I wonder how many other sock puppets are at large on the various forums?.

Poor show really... I did love the indignant and hurt rebuttal from 108CY, followed a few posts later by the smoking gun of shared registration emails/IPs - excellent entertainment value!.

Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I know there's an "in" joke about myself and others being shills, but frankly only an idiot would believe it - yes, I say positive things about Rega in particular, but that's only because they offer a good product at a good price (as well as being British) but the example on PFM really does take the biscuit! Self-promotion is one thing - fraud is quite another, and only right that PFM & Wam won't tolerate it, and neither would we.
    Oh, I say, top class shilling, that man. I'm impressed.

--- you manage to sneak a Rega Shill into an anti-shill post.

Only kidding!
    Last edited by jandl100; 19-05-2013 at 08:15.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    --- you manage to sneak a Rega Shill into an anti-shill post.
    What can I say, I have mouths to feed!
    Alex

I'm Deleted.

I think there are quite a few 'sock puppets' about on the forums. I realise that this forum gets a lot of stick from another ,particular, forum regarding trade and non-trade promoting specific products - but at least any such is out in the open. Elsewhere, there are definitely trade members (shop owners, staff of shops, front room dealers, reps, friends of all those) who pretend to be clueless innocents looking for the best - which miraculously is ultimately found...

What surprises me about this is that the dealer in question thought it was worth doing and that he thought it wouldn't be blatantly obvious. If he had lust left it at buying a Koetsu he would probably have got away with it. But instead he had to invent a dream customer - came in for a cartridge and ended up buying a new turntable arm, cartridge and super pricey arm cable. In fact, at the end, I did wonder if expenditure on all the other stuff was just a smoke-screen to help justify the arm cable.

The same dealer apparently has 3 Rockport turntables - to have even one would be unprecedented and quite remarkable.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast