+ Reply to Thread

Thread: headphone amp???

I'm David.

Default headphone amp???

im looking for a headphone amp for my main hifi
    i use a beresford 7520 as a dac upstairs and i am aware of what people say about its qualitys as a headphone amp although i dont know my self as it seems i have broken the volume pot
    its other advantage is the posibilitys of improvment in sound from my digi tuner and any multi media player i might chose to add to my system in the future
    it is not the perfect solution for me though as it has only digi inputs and as such will not be able to use it with my record player and will have to take a digital out from the linn ds

second on my list and the more conventional option is the nva ap10p

can anyone else suggest anything in the £100-£250 range

I'm ILOB.

Contact Stan I am sure he help with the volume pot I would first try the 7520 before you think of other heaphone amps According to Stan the AKG 701 works really well with it and that is a great pair of cans
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm David.

i agree the 7520 is prob a great option but that doesnt help my desire to waste time mooching the internet for info on products i wont end up buying

I'm Chris.

You haven't said what headphones you are using (or did I miss that?)

The usual suspects are:

Project Headbox SEII @ £179.99 inc vat
    Creek OB21SE @ £250 inc vat (can be had for less)
    Graham Slee Novo @ £200 + VAT

I've not heard any of them, but I'd start with the Graham Slee Novo.

There's a Meier Corda Arietta headphone amplifier on Ebay right now. The owner is selling because "I now have a DAC with an excellent built-in headphone amp". I wonder that DAC could be?

Hasn't Mr.B. said he is going to produce a standalone headphone amp?
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm David.

grado sr125...

has he indeed... he is a busy (mr.) B

that graham slee looks interesting. i can never find anywhere to demo this stuff?...

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    that graham slee looks interesting. i can never find anywhere to demo this stuff?...
    There is someone on AoS who has a GS and tested it against the TC-7520/NE5532 combination. I recall that it was too close to call. I wonder if a
    retest of TC-7520/THS4032 would change the situation. Might be worth asking on the forum.

I'm Chris.

Hamish,

I completely forgot that about Musical Fidelity X-can v2/3 headphone amps. Lots of info about these with various tweaks/upgrades at the "rock grotto" website.

Other headphone amps that interested were "Little Dot 3" ( a tube amp) and "Little Dot Mk V" (solod state). But these would have be imported.
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Was going to mention the Little Dot.Not heard one myself but read good things about it.Can be found on ebay,along with several other headamps.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    There is someone on AoS who has a GS and tested it against the TC-7520/NE5532 combination. I recall that it was too close to call. I wonder if a
    retest of TC-7520/THS4032 would change the situation. Might be worth asking on the forum.
    noted

+ Reply to Thread