+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been dipping.......

I'm Nodrog.

Default I've been dipping.......

........ into a few other forums to get a feel of the market so to speak.

I find the level of 'discussion' to be quite vitriolic on the whole. There seems to be a willingness to include personalities in the arguments rather than just the arguments.

It all seems a bit like religion. Two or three sects who all use the same original story for their beliefs but have somehow drifted apart with all the copies of copies down the years.

It seems I picked the forum that suits me best by chance in the first place. I was amazed at the number of fora when I actually looked.

I won't get into the subjective / objective debate but even that seems a bit beyond my experience. I stopped buying hi-fi when it all started to sound like my guitars and piano did in real life. My main system (with one major change coming - ta Firebottle!!!) has now stayed the same for twenty years. If I play around, its with all the other bits and pieces just for fun. Most of those bits were free or very cheap and very seldom get switched on as I am usually in the music room if I get a spare hour or two.

I can't help but feel that the equipment has become a hobby in its own right and rather leaves out it prime purpose which is actually listening to music. The music is first second and third. Quite where the equipment comes I am not sure, but nowhere near the top of my list.

I have to admit lusting after some of the better looking gear around but that is about aesthetics and nothing to do with purpose

Anyway, I feel comfortable here and have deleted ALL the others from my favourites list!!

Happy listening

synsei Guest

Nice one Gordon. I tinker with my kit occasionally but in general I am happy with my lot. As you say, once reproduced instruments start sounding like the real thing it is time to stop. I think I might be there or there abouts now, that is until the next time I have an itch to scratch... hehe

I'm fuckoff.

I agree, this is my favourite forum for a reason.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    I can't help but feel that the equipment has become a hobby in its own right and rather leaves out it prime purpose which is actually listening to music.
    Very true Gordon, a lot of AoS folk enjoy the hobby more for the equipment than the music, or how a certain recording sounds rather that what the recording means to the artist and why they wrote it . . . but you know what, it doesn't really matter as long as we all enjoy what the music or different gear brings to us.

I'm here just for the music as swapping gear around leaves me cold and have never considered music a hobby. I would rather spend all my time seeking out new music and buying music, rather than swapping stuff around, but then I'm very content with my system. Other's want to know what every new thing sounds like, or what a different mix of components brings to the table - each to their own and there's room for them all at AoS, just enjoy whatever floats your boat
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Very true Gordon, a lot of AoS folk enjoy the hobby more for the equipment than the music
    True, im convinced half jsit down in silence just looking at it! I personally think it's pathetic & some really need to get their snobby arses back into reality.

I for one continually gloat about the cheap old fashioned hi-fi i use because i have no hairs & graces see

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

But if it brings pleasure André, no harm done eh
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

synsei Guest

Can anyone help, my eyeballs are stuck to my Classe DR5...

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I would sum it up like this: Music is my life. Mucking around with hi-fi equipment is one of my hobbies.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    True, im convinced half jsit down in silence just looking at it!
    I agree but what about the hifi...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    i have no hairs & graces see
    Yes, Parker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast