+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sound bar?

I'm Clive.

I agree with previous comments, new tellies now are built assuming you'll use a soundbar and indeed pushing you to do so. Cheaper telly, expensive soiundbar.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Richard.

Samsung now do a valve one so that must sound good. And you can tube roll. All that burning in. I expect you could get isonoe feet...

On a slightly more serious note I am not sure how many realise (as I hadn't) that you can get av amps with preamp outputs. This lets me run centre and sub and rear surround from the av power amp but front left and right from the 2 channel pre and power amp. So I don't have to duplicate front av and 2 channel speakers and don't compromise 2 channel quality

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    On a slightly more serious note I am not sure how many realise (as I hadn't) that you can get av amps with preamp outputs. This lets me run centre and sub and rear surround from the av power amp but front left and right from the 2 channel pre and power amp. So I don't have to duplicate front av and 2 channel speakers and don't compromise 2 channel quality
    It is possible to do that with ordinary amplifiers if they are connected to the TC-7220 amp/speaker switch of mine. I am actually amazed how many people have two amps or/and two pairs of speakers.
    But I still prefer to use a soundbar for the TV in my bedroom. One remote controls both TV and soundbar, which is very handy.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    It is possible to do that with ordinary amplifiers if they are connected to the TC-7220 amp/speaker switch of mine. I am actually amazed how many people have two amps or/and two pairs of speakers.
    But I still prefer to use a soundbar for the TV in my bedroom. One remote controls both TV and soundbar, which is very handy.
    It's not quite the same. The TC-7220 would attach one pair of speakers to 2 power amps and switch the relatively high current speaker lines between 2 amplifiers. If my AV amp doesn't have line level output - only speaker level output, then speaker level is the only thing I can switch. Now whilst I am hardly the most obsessive cable worshiper on the forum, I feel speaker cables affect the sound, and I'm not rushing to include a switch in the circuit. I know a good friend who might take the piss out of me for that, but old prejudices die hard. Its for that reason I am looking for a stax energiser which includes an amplifier and takes line level input, rather than the old traditional power amp switch arrangement for those headphones.

Either way, switching the speaker output is not the same as switching the line level signal.

Now whilst I am hardly the most obsessive cable worshiper on the forum, I feel speaker cables affect the sound, and I'm not rushing to include a switch in the circuit.
    I shall put trust in the words of those who have actually bought a TC-7220, instead of putting my trust in your feelings. A cable is not a switch, so whatever influence the cable has on the sound is irrelevant to the switch. They are two differently manufactured items.

I'm Tom.

I have a Samsung 42" plasma and the sound really is atrocious through it's built-in speakers. A lot of programmes and fillums have terrible dialogue so you crank up the volume to hear what the feck these actors are all mumbling about and the speakers immediately distort

Bought a Goodmans sound bar and although the SQ isn't all that much better in tonality terms than the TV's speakers, at least it doesn't distort when you crank up the volume a bit.

I'm Martin.

My Sony Bravia is a rear screen DSP jobbie so has a cabinet, although quite shallow compared to a CRT and sounds pretty good - 4 drivers fire downwards and out through an exponential horn that runs across the bottom of the cab. Picked it up new for a song, figured it would last me 8 years and it has done, even doubling as a computer monitor. I don't know why they bother even fitting speakers to the panel TVs. never heard one that sounds any better than dreadful.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Craig.

Never bothered eventually, but what I should do is access the sound menu in the Onkyo and tweak the centre speaker controls.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Samsung now do a valve one so that must sound good. And you can tube roll. All that burning in. I expect you could get isonoe feet...
    I had a play with one of those in pc world the other week using my phone via its blue tooth connection, it looks the part with its nice little valves glowing behind the small front window but for me that's where it ends the sound was less than impressive IMHO

I had more fun making people jump by controlling it from the other side of the shop and blasting them with Dianna Krall as they went past, made me chuckle anyway
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I shall put trust in the words of those who have actually bought a TC-7220, instead of putting my trust in your feelings. A cable is not a switch, so whatever influence the cable has on the sound is irrelevant to the switch. They are two differently manufactured items.
    Stan - forget the switching element. With my arrangement the 2 key speakers in my av system are driven by my 2 channel power amp. If I was happy with them driven by a yamaha av amp I could plug my 2 channel Iinto a spare av input and do away with a speaker switch box that way.

A speaker switch box is a solution, but a line level pre-out on the av amp is a much better one if your 2 channel amp is better than an av amp as mine is. Significantly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123