+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dac for TV ideas?

I'm Johan.

I use minijack - rca/phono lead from the headphone socket to the amp. It has got the advantage of letting me use the remote for volume adjustment. To ensure the right impedance for the headphone output, I have soldered two 150 ohms resistors on the input socket on the amp.

I`ve got four cheap dacs from ebay, in different versions (just to try out). No problems, except for one wall-wart that broke down. I like the sound of the old multibit-dacs.

I'm Gene.

Thanks. Before the dac, I used the TV headphone jack to the powered AE speakers and it was convenient with the cable remote. Adding a dac changed things. I get around it by using the Audioengine speaker's remote. Haven't tried to see if the TV cable remote will program it, but either way it's not as convenient.

The FiiO is one shot at a cheap dac. Which other(s) did you find worth trying? Switching is the big issue, then sound. I don't prefer a wall wart either, but for me it's primarily because it takes a better quality power cable out of the equation. In any case, it strikes me as extravagent to keep a $400 dac just for TV, a media box and a bit of music (cable or DVD). At the same time, I've got all these really good $50-$140 sound and video cables - power, speaker, HDMI and IC (My Audio Cables, Morrow, Mapleshade - which makes it seem odd to stick in a $15 or $50 dac. But whatever works and sounds (and looks) decent.

I'm Tansen.

Smile

Another vote for Fiio Taishan..

I'm Gene.

Thanks. I'll know in a few days. Do you think there's any difference between these two:
    http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-A..._ee_p_t_1_D8CG
    http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-TAISHAN-D..._ee_p_t_2_D8CG

I ordered an open box (used) version of the first.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Just ordered a D3 so we can compare notes in a few days.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Gene.

Mine came today and it works with my TV setup, though with a bit of hash when switching.

Right now, I'm wondering how much burnin it will need. Sound is sort of flat dimensionality or spatially out of the box (and a touch hard).

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    Mine came today and it works with my TV setup, though with a bit of hash when switching.

Right now, I'm wondering how much burnin it will need. Sound is sort of flat dimensionality or spatially out of the box (and a touch hard).
    Look forward to hearing your review after burnin!

I have a hole to fill and this might work.

Stu
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Gene.

My sense right now after about 40 hours, and remember this is a 2.0 TV set up, is that its soundfield is two dimensional and a it's bit on the hard side. Not something I would want to live with in the long run. Have to see...

MartinT Guest

The Beresford DACs are excellent with TV sound. I used to run a Caiman and now use a Bushmaster. The quality of TV audio is really excellent when run through a good quality DAC and far better than using the audio outputs on the equipment. I use optical from Sky HD and co-ax from my Blu-ray player.

I'm Gene.

Thanks, Martin. Don't know if you saw the discussion last week in the Beresford thread, but the overhead in dealing from the States and with Beresford himself are a bit much for me. I'm filling in with a cheap FiiO D03K right now, which switches fine but so far is sonically nothing to get excited about (two dimensional, hard). I'm leaning toward ordering a Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast