+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dac for TV ideas?

I'm Gene.

Default Dac for TV ideas?

In my desktop computer audio speaker quest, I ended up with a spare pair of Audioengine A5+ powered speakers, which I figured might be useful alongside my 40" LCD TV (and Patriot media box) in a 2.0 configuration. Thanks to a mass buy, I also picked up their D1 Dac to enhance the sound quality (massdrop.com - just noticed the D1 and A5+ are going again cheap for three more days). It certainly did help, but with Toslink for audio and USB for power I got lots of audio dropout (switching). From experimenting, the culprit seems to be power: 5v DC (D1) vs. 110v AC (e.g., Micromega MyDac).

So, I'm looking for Dac suggestions that fit with the modest nature of this TV setup. The only requirements are decent or better sound quality, direct AC (3 pin or 2), Toslink input and RCA out. Volume control not necessary. Thanks,

I'm Neil.

For me the Beresford DACs rule in this area. A 'good old' TC-7510 would be more than adequate for your needs... it does use a wall wart though (needs a small external supply), which may well not be for your needs.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm scott.

astell & kern for the digital toshlink output of the tTv then plug headphones in or connect to your hifi optical dac/preamp/headphones/24-192 server

I'm Gene.

Yomanze, thanks for the Beresford suggestion. It appears that the 7530 is not much more than the 7510. In terms of features, it's overkill for my needs, but at the price it's certainly cheaper than the MyDac, even with 25 GBP for shipping to the States.

daytona, I hadn't heard of astell and kern before, and after looking at their website, I'm not sure what you're proposing. Headphones are not part of my listening, except while traveling with a laptop and stuck bored in a motel room.
    Last edited by highstream; 08-05-2013 at 15:33.

I'm Gary.

You'd be shocked Gene at how good this http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-to-a...nvertor-504890 sounds for not a lot of money at all.

Just for the telly...sorted.

No power supply needed, runs on USB power.
    Aside from a bit of bass grunt and the missing "x-factor" of my Rega Dac I'd have been happy with it if I was on budget - which I am.

Happily running one in my bedroom system hooked up to a Virgin tv box, AV server and DVD player.
    Great wee thing.

*EDIT* Just noticed your not in the UK, still, if you can get one its beer money for a great Dac.
    Ideal for what you want to do with it.

I'm Gene.

Thanks Gazjam. At this point, unless someone can figure out why a USB-powered Audioengine Dac can't handle Toslink-Samsung TV switching very well, using mains (AC) power appears to be a necessity. AE tech support wasn't willing to concede that it is AC vs 5v DC, but the fact is that their D1 sound cuts out a lot - turning the TV on, switching between TV and media box, reverse/forward USB videos on the box, and even occasionally changing channels quickly on the TV. Had enough of it. The mains powered MyDac has momentary static when switching devices and turning on/off (TV), but sound has yet to drop out. The only thing is that it's pretty expensive just for a 2.0 TV setup.

I'm scott.

daytona, I hadn't heard of astell and kern before, and after looking at their website, I'm not sure what you're proposing. Headphones are not part of my listening, except while traveling with a laptop and stuck bored in a motel room.

has a optical dac input for your tv , preamp for volume etc etc + headphones if required + portable for laptop in a motel

http://www.scottnangle.co.uk/page_27.html

I'm Christian.

Fiio D3, smal, cheap and punches above its weight.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-192KHz-...words=Fiio+dac

I'm Johan.

TDA 1543 mini-dac from ebay. This dac is probably as good as it gets in reproducing the human voice, which is important when you watch TV.

I'm Gene.

Thanks for the suggestions. I found an open box FiiO in San Diego for $14 shipped, so there's not much to lose in giving it a try.

A $50 dollar mini-dac from China is a lot riskier, given the switching issue. There seem to a few TDA1543-based Dacs out there, some that have overshadowed the Muse sonically. One of the others was developed several years ago by a Canadian, who produced 400 units and then let it go, until someone prompted him into coming up with extensive mods, which he's provided schematics and photos for. Not my cup of tea these days. The other, produced by a Parisian and given good reviews on computer audiophile, is now up over $200 assembled + shipping on eBay, unless one is willing to buy the board and put the rest together.

I should reiterate for anyone coming across this thread that the first criteria is the ability of the Dac to switch smoothly w/o sound dropout. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or firmware issue, but in my sample of two so far USB-AC Dac has problems and the one off the mains (110v AC port) doesn't (except for some hash when switching devices).
    Last edited by highstream; 11-05-2013 at 20:23.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast