+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New amplifier advice

I'm Mark.

£4000 would buy a very good pair of active speakers with amplifiers built in that where chosen to work perfectly with the speakers, just to suggest something different for you to think about.

Adam http://www.adam-audio.com/

Genelec http://www.genelec.com/ or one of the many hi-fi brands, all good fun

An old thread : http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6856

I'm Dave.

£4000 budget for new amps. If only...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm stu.

Buy a 2nd hand amp for a £1,000 and £3,000 on 2nd hand speakers.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
    Buy a 2nd hand amp for a £1,000 and £3,000 on 2nd hand speakers.
    Yes indeed, a grand gets you a long way with an amp and much bigger gains with speakers, but I would also be looking to upgrade the DAC with £1k budget, so £2k for the speakers if I were upgrading. Having said this am using speakers that cost me £350 s/h and I would put them against anything, so research and don't assume that cost means better.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Yes indeed, a grand gets you a long way with an amp and much bigger gains with speakers, but I would also be looking to upgrade the DAC with £1k budget, so £2k for the speakers if I were upgrading. Having said this am using speakers that cost me £350 s/h and I would put them against anything, so research and don't assume that cost means better.
    I kind of agree, but I'd be tempted to listen to some 2nd hand speakers around £4K first, some true quality like Quads and Logans to hear how much better it can sound. If your not impressed by these then spend the money on an amp but I don't think this will give as much of an improvement.

I'm alan.

+1 for Mark Grant's suggestions
    Revox B795,NVA Phono 1,Teac PD H500C,SB Touch,Mark Grant Linear PSU,Bushmaster MkII,NVA AP70,IPL LS3TLM.Royd Minstrels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12