+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Techy board - re-capping

I'm Andrew.

Pcb can be bought for fifty quid on scumbay
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Pcb can be bought for fifty quid on scumbay
    a brand new one?
    I can whistle with my fingers, especially if I have a whistle.

I'm Andrew.

No
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

There's nothing wrong with a functional 2nd hand board.

The thing with electrolytic caps is over time they dry out. This will cause the specs to go out and the first thing to change will be the esr of the cap. The effect of this will be that the rails they sit across will start to become noisy which in turn will effect the performance of the circuit. There have also been advances in technology and materials in the last 20 years. Some of the new solid polymer have almost unbelievable esr specifications. Most of the time the caps will have been chosen based on price. I a circuit functions within specifications with a 1p part why use a 10p part even if this does improve the overall performance.

Replacing the caps with newer technology should make the circuits perform "better" which in turn should lead to a more stable and accurate control of the platter. Clearly along the way technics replaced the conservative power supply smoother (c1) with and even more conservative value part. The deck will still perform within the specs but the change in value from 1000uF to 470uF will have been purely based on cost. There is no other viable reason.

In any external psu, the value for the equivalent part is likely to be at least 10x that value because its not an expensive part on its own and a larger value will allow the psu to better (faster with more reserve stamina) deal with any peak current requirements.

One downside to making the value large is that the inrush of current required to charge the cap at switch on could mean that a bigger more powerful transformer is required along with bigger rectifier diodes. It's often that case that as you upgrade a component, you will also need to upgrade any supporting components.

I will shortly post the full diagram with my own recommendations for cap changes. It's not going to be expensive to implement as as a few have pointed out here, they've already experienced benefits of psu cap upgrades.
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm Ken.

I'm Andrew.

It's quite exciting I'm looking forward to see what gets published here
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Francois.

This place gets better everyday!
    Francois, Bergerac, France
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Audio Note OTO PP, Dussun V6i
    Loudspeakers:
    Triangle Comete ES, Klispch RP600M
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

little bit of the work in progress just to get you on the hook

I've stitched together the various parts of the diagram. I don't think a complete diagram exists anywhere like this.
    I've also started to show the various power supply rails in different colours and mark all of the electrolytic caps on the diagram
    Next I'll mark the same caps on a photo of the PCB and finally put a list of recommended replacements together.

Last edited by UV101; 09-05-2013 at 19:26.
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm Martin.

There is some pretty dam fine information coming up here.
    Although I'm a complete modding novice, I would certainly give it a shot on my own, after a bit of practice with a soldering iron on a test PCB.

Looking forward to what follows.

Great work UV101

Last edited by Thirsty Dog; 09-05-2013 at 17:57.
    Martin

Technics SL-1210MK2, Sumiko Headshell, Nagaoka MP110, Funk Firm Achromat; Yaqin MS23B (Lesbox Conversion);
    Mac Mini, Airport Express; AVI ADM9RS; Atacama Equinox AV

I'm Gren.

+1 for the great work
    System Sources: Naim cdx2-2, Sonos and AppleTV, SL1210 Mk2 the journey, so far isonoe feet and sumiko headshell, Jelco SA750D. Mike New bearing,bonded baseplate and copper armboard, now installed. Paul Hynes PSUSR7EHD-21/27, funk achromat .

Pre-amp: Teddy Pardo PR1

Power Teddy Pardo 2xMB100's

Other: Focal Electra 1028be

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast