+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Techy board - re-capping

I'm Dimitris.

Yes this makes sense.

I attached a photo of my pcb on the previous post as well, just for reference and for comparison. I am really curious about the undocumented caps. MK5 seems to include an entry for C217-C219 as 100nF @50v

I'm Andrew.

you need to be careful that your caps dont snag the platter.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dimitris.

Nah it's ok. There is about a centimeter of space above them

I replaced some of the polyesters too. Unfortunately I made some mistakes in ordering caps, so I have to reorder some of them. I will probably with the rest of the electrolytics.

The caps that I removed from the pcb measure good in capacitance, although their dissipation factor is high. Something around 0,0030 like the orange drops or PIOs or MKP375. While the 1837 and 1840 polypropylenes measure a solid 0 making them quite better, at least in theory.

From a late night low volume audition, there seems to be a distinct improvement in bass definition and clarity after the change. I still have lots of them to change though, and I still have to do some proper volume listening.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    Nah it's ok. There is about a centimeter of space above them

I replaced some of the polyesters too. Unfortunately I made some mistakes in ordering caps, so I have to reorder some of them. I will probably with the rest of the electrolytics.

The caps that I removed from the pcb measure good in capacitance, although their dissipation factor is high. Something around 0,0030 like the orange drops or PIOs or MKP375. While the 1837 and 1840 polypropylenes measure a solid 0 making them quite better, at least in theory.

From a late night low volume audition, there seems to be a distinct improvement in bass definition and clarity after the change. I still have lots of them to change though, and I still have to do some proper volume listening.
    I'm talking about when you start to try different platters on your deck. You have much to learn! It's nice to hear that you can hear changes with your recapping experiment. I would say that I agree with you with regards to bass extension. I remember being blown away with my bass response once I'd had my PCB fully recapped. In fact I would say that the bass on my deck is its best feature as it's certainly the best I have heard on any deck so far.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dimitris.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I'm talking about when you start to try different platters on your deck.
    I don t think I will try ready platters. What I have seen is way out of my budget...

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    I don t think I will try ready platters. What I have seen is way out of my budget...
    You might want to dampen the underside of the platter and buy an Acromat, you could probably do this for less than £100.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Nathan.

Smile Mods, mods and more mods...

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I'm talking about when you start to try different platters on your deck. You have much to learn! It's nice to hear that you can hear changes with your recapping experiment. I would say that I agree with you with regards to bass extension. I remember being blown away with my bass response once I'd had my PCB fully recapped. In fact I would say that the bass on my deck is its best feature as it's certainly the best I have heard on any deck so far.
    You just had to go and put that last bit in there. I'm new to AOS and was studying up on mods for my SL-1200MK2. Before I got to that part, a re-cap was something that I figured could wait. Now, it's "I must-do-this-soon

I'm Andrew.

The 1210 has excellent bass without being recapped. My advice would be to do each modification one by one and they the merits of the modification. You can then see how each mod has improved your 1210. I was stupid and did everything at once. I lost a lot of the awe and wonder that you can feel when you get a new mod which improves your deck.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Nathan.

My plan for my 1200 is first the outboard PS, then a tone arm rewire and then damping the underside of the stock platter. I'm going to order the caps before I'm ready to do the work so they'll be on hand when I'm ready. I'm also re-painting it black while doing the PS work, but I don't think it'll affect performance much

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567