+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something To Keep Me Busy!

I'm Geoff.

Default Something To Keep Me Busy!

A little project.

Just got a pair of early Celestion Ditton 15 speakers in pretty tidy condition (thanks Shane!).

There is something wrong. I measured the DC resistance at the terminals and one gives a 6 ohm reading and the other 9 ohms. I'd guess the 9 ohm reading is correct and the 6 ohm speaker has problems. A capacitor I suspect, if the tweeter had fused the resistance would probably be even higher than the 9 ohms of the other. Unless of course the coil has shorted, which might account for the low reading.

One little job done. A pair of modern terminal posts fitted instead of the horrible little bare wire terminals. The other speaker to do yet.

Fortunately, I have spare tweeters and crossovers for these, so I should have them sorted out quickly!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rich.

Nice work. I paid a tenner for my pair from a local recycling place. They provide regular service in my second system and I love em dearly. I got round the binding post problem with some cheap spade connectors so I can use any cable. Strangely enough they like the budget Gale stuff from richers best.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Geoff.

Some of the Gale branded cables are actually remarkably good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Just found the problem.

The tweeter on the speaker with the low resistance reading has a shorted coil, measuring 0.9 ohms instead of the usual 6 ohms DC you normally get on these. That explains the low 6 ohms at the terminals.

I have a matched pair of good spare tweeters. I'll change both over. The crossover components will be checked and I may rewire everything anyway. I'll tidy and re-polish the cabinets and heat tighten the 'Tygan' grille cloth. They should end up as a very sound and tidy little pair of 'Classic' Celestions!

I'm Andrew.

I love my 15's to bit's, I have some 44's as well, must admit not used these as much as the 15's. They truly are worth digging out if you fancy a pair of classic speakers.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Always handy to keep old tweeters & crossovers, they will come in handy one day

If replacing the xover caps best stick to BP lytics in the 15's IME

I'm Geoff.

I'm not going to any extremes with these. They aren't worth a fortune, so any re-usable bits including capacitors will remain.

I'm familiar with Ditton 15s, having had about five pairs and I reckon they'll be singing by the time I finish.

Slightly tempted with the idea of using a super-tweeter. There's just enough room for a small tweeter next to the HF1300 and I have suitable drivers and a pair of 8 ohm 12db/oct 13kHz filters I made years go to work with a super-tweeter coming in above HF1300s. I wouldn't use the popular but horrible Coles/STC 3001g unit. A pair of tiny Eagle horns appeals, they were actually made by Coral and sound rather nice.

I'm Geoff.

This is weird. I had differing DC resistance measurements from the tweeters measured at the crossover. I take them out of the speaker and they both measure OK. I swap the spare tweeters into the cabinets and find each speaker measures about 5.5 ohms at the terminals now, which I suppose is correct for a 4 to 8 ohm speaker. Where has the defect gone? It may have just been a bad soldered joint. I'm not complaining though. I still have to connect these and try them mind you.

I'm Geoff.

Yup! All up and running and sounding good.

Now as nice a pair of early Ditton 15s as you could wish to find. Never did figure out what the problem was, dodgy soldered joint is all I can think of.

http://imgbox.com/gallery/edit/vK2y8...6UvtzbqNdbjzUP

I'm Geoff.

Yup! All up and running and sounding good.

Now as nice a pair of early Ditton 15s as you could wish to find. Never did figure out what the problem was, dodgy soldered joint is all I can think of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast