+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeezebox Touch EDO Module

I'm Paul.

Default Squeezebox Touch EDO Module

Hi all,

I have recently installed the Enhanced Digital Output Module on my SB Touch after recommendation from Stan and help from MartinT and can confirm it has made quite a significant and very much worthwhile improvement to the overall sound and presentation, through my Caiman DAC.

Treble has opened up and become sweeter, bass seems tighter and maybe even a little deeper and vocals, WOW, it's as though the artist is physically standing in the room!

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade and for free, how can you complain...

Paul.
    Last edited by MartinT; 16-05-2013 at 22:08. Reason: Corrected title to read 'EDO'
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Steven.

Of course it would help us much more if you would tell us about the cable between your SBT (USB/Coax/optical) and your dac and the kind of files played that sound so much better.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Fi-Wi View Post
    Of course it would help us much more if you would tell us about the cable between your SBT (USB/Coax/optical) and your dac and the kind of files played that sound so much better.
    I have a Beresford Caiman plus Gatorized and all music sounds better, I use a mix of FLAC, Apple Lossless, AAC and MP3.

Hope this helps

P.
    Last edited by pjdowns; 02-05-2013 at 17:33.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Steven.

What cable connects your Caiman to your Touch, USB, optical or coax cable.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

I'm Paul.

Sorry, it's a coax Chord cable.

I'm Will.

It's an excellent upgrade by Triode IMHO

I have 2 SBTouches downstairs and it's improved both...

SBT+EDO(USB only out)+linear PSU+Sbooster/USB hub/iFi USB cable/iFi USB power/Kimber USB cable/Audiolab M-DAC(A10)

and

SBT+EDO(digital/analogue out)+Sbooster/Mini-T(5A psu)

...so it's improved both the digital & analogue outputs

For what it's worth I've also installed the 'Screen Off' screensaver from triode too, which is nice...but there are a few issues with 2 touches synchronised
    Cheers, Will

I'm Richard.

Same here. I wouldn't be without EDO running. It elevates a competent product to the status of a giant killer. I originally downloaded it just to try out USB output into my 8200CDQ and found that that method of connection just sounds a lot more natural and less digital than either the coax or the optical output. I always rated coax above optical with the touch, but now optical sits in third position.

It's also worth playing around with the buffer settings within EDO too. I find the large buffer setting to sound best although it does cause delays in output of about 5 seconds when you're switching between different streams, but I can live with that. YMMV of course.

The biggest revelation for me though was swapping out different USB cables. I bought a Kimber USB (cheap) when I was using a Caiman and found it to be a big improvement over a standard USB, but now with the Touch and 8200CDQ I find the opposite is true. The cheap cable that came with my old scanner doesn't make everything sound as sterile as the Kimber seems to do.
    Rich

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    It's an excellent upgrade by Triode IMHO

I have 2 SBTouches downstairs and it's improved both...

SBT+EDO(USB only out)+linear PSU+Sbooster/USB hub/iFi USB cable/iFi USB power/Kimber USB cable/Audiolab M-DAC(A10)

and

SBT+EDO(digital/analogue out)+Sbooster/Mini-T(5A psu)

...so it's improved both the digital & analogue outputs

For what it's worth I've also installed the 'Screen Off' screensaver from triode too, which is nice...but there are a few issues with 2 touches synchronised
    Have you tried a SBooster on the Mini-T yet?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Have you tried a SBooster on the Mini-T yet?
    No I haven't...and guess what I have a spare SBooster from my receiver...

That'll give me something to play with at the weekend...
    Cheers, Will

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    No I haven't...and guess what I have a spare SBooster from my receiver...

That'll give me something to play with at the weekend...
    Sounds good - I just hope that the connectors are the right size.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast