+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Years

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    DM4's are nice if a little bass light but hey, the 33 has tone controls so there you go!
    Not keen on either. Get a pair of Ditton 15's (not XR version), or Mordaunt Short Pageant II's. Much sweeter sounding.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not keen on either. Get a pair of Ditton 15's (not XR version), or Mordaunt Short Pageant II's. Much sweeter sounding.
    Thats a difference in taste right there I freakin' hate Ditton 15's

I'm Nobody.

Yeh 'Pageant II' are great.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thats a difference in taste right there I freakin' hate Ditton 15's
    Hahahaha.... I'm saying nothing!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hahahaha.... I'm saying nothing!!

Marco.
    Aye, we've been here before

They only sell for £50-£70ish so cheap enough to try & move on if disliked... No harm in that IMO.

Have you tried Celestion C "County" ? They look like stumpy 15's without an ABR. Theres a local pair tempting me!

I'm Geoff.

Have you tried Celestion C "County" ? They look like stumpy 15's without an ABR. Theres a local pair tempting me!
    Nice little speaker. I believe the bass driver is the same unit as the Ditton 15, but without the surface doping, the tweeter is the excellent HF1300.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice little speaker. I believe the bass driver is the same unit as the Ditton 15, but without the surface doping, the tweeter is the excellent HF1300.
    Bass unit has a pressed steel chassis, as opposed to the cast one of the 15, and it has a smaller magnet.
    Spendorman

I'm Paul.

Great amps and perfect with something like Tannoys. There's plenty that will work really well with them for reasonable cost but the final choice has to depend on your listening room (has anyone asked the size of room you have for them?) and budget.

Speakers should work very well with a Quad 303 driving them include:

Harbeths (any of them); Heybrook HB1 and HB2's; Snell J or Ks, Audionote AN/J's, Celestion Ditton 33/44/66 and Tannoys (any of the vintage models, but especially something like Chatsworths, Cheviots or Ardens).

I'm James.

Well the Quads arrived today! The seller failed to mention they hadn't been used in years... I should have guessed really anyway the X2 cap in the 33 exploded @ turn on & the 303 hummed like a mother...

A handful of caps later & they are singing! ...Flippin' eck they can sing! I'm pretty floored how good they sound for such old amps, a bit wooly compared to what I'm used to but very musical

I'm Dan.

[QUOTE=istari_knight;440685]Well the Quads arrived today! The seller failed to mention they hadn't been used in years... I should have guessed really anyway the X2 cap in the 33 exploded @ turn on & the 303 hummed like a mother...

A handful of caps later & they are singing! ...Flippin' eck they can sing! I'm pretty floored how good they sound for such old amps, a bit wooly compared to what I'm used to but very musical [/QUOTE}

Give the 33 a good service and all will become very clear
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 03-05-2013 at 22:05. Reason: Fixed broken quote

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast