+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SME 10 PSU Upgrade

I'm Robert.

Post SME 10 PSU Upgrade

Has anyone upgraded there old 2 speed power supply for a later 3 speed version on there SME 10 Turntable? If so was it worth the extra investment?

I'm peter.

Essentially, the power supply for the three SME ranges is the same. It was first introduced on the Model 10 and then flowed across the range. The early versions were designed by Tesserac, but for some time now, Talk Electronics have done the design, and SME build them at the factory. The power supply has suffered a few minor problems...the greatest of which was some tendency to giving off RF. To deal with that, the board have been redesigned and an earthing lead introduced..which earths through the deck. The latest changes to the boards have only just been introduced also.
    The changes make the decks sound a bit 'faster' and more lively. And any potential for Rf has gone.
    I think a new supply is expensive, about £1,500 for the model 30 range, maybe cheaper for the 10 (although it is essentially the same supply). Is it worth the change? Only you can judge that. Personally, I probably would not bother. Better to save up for a Model 20-3 if you fancy a change. Or perhaps save your cash and enjoy the deck. Unless you play 78s of course.
    Last edited by paskinn; 29-04-2013 at 21:11.

I'm Robert.

Smile SME 10

Thanks for the info the price is about the same for the 10 though SME do a part x on the PSU and sell it for about £1000. Mine does give off a lot of RF and needs to be well away from the SUT and phonostage! I did have a 20 early version but prefer the look of the ten and the 10 works better in my present system so I sold it on. I will think on your advice as it is a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinn View Post
    Essentially, the power supply for the three SME ranges is the same. It was first introduced on the Model 10 and then flowed across the range. The early versions were designed by Tesserac, but for some time now, Talk Electronics have done the design, and SME build them at the factory. The power supply has suffered a few minor problems...the greatest of which was some tendency to giving off RF. To deal with that, the board have been redesigned and an earthing lead introduced..which earths through the deck. The latest changes to the boards have only just been introduced also.
    The changes make the decks sound a bit 'faster' and more lively. And any potential for Rf has gone.
    I think a new supply is expensive, about £1,500 for the model 30 range, maybe cheaper for the 10 (although it is essentially the same supply). Is it worth the change? Only you can judge that. Personally, I probably would not bother. Better to save up for a Model 20-3 if you fancy a change. Or perhaps save your cash and enjoy the deck. Unless you play 78s of course.

I'm Robert.

Smile Sme 10 psu

New supply on order so will soon see what it sounds like, thanks to all who have given advice.
    Regards

I'm peter.

Quote Originally Posted by grimwould View Post
    New supply on order so will soon see what it sounds like, thanks to all who have given advice.
    Regards
    By co-incidence, I got a new power supply last week. My deck is a different model to yours, but I suspect the results will be the same. First: all rf problems just cease. I can't provoke the supply into making a noise through my sut/valve mm stage. Secondly, the new boards give the unit more power, to further increase speed stability (already superb) You can hear the extra life and pace from the deck, the soundstage is also better deliniated , with more silence between the notes.
    If you plan to keep your 10, and as you suffered RF issues, it seems a sensible step. Pity SME didn't get to grips with this issue some years ago.

I'm Robert.

Cool Sme 10 psu

Hi thanks again for the advice and assurances on the PSU. After a few calls to SME dealers they all confirmed basically what you said and that the improvement is worth the investment. I do like the look off the 10 and it just sounds so good in my present set up so the new power supply is I feel a good investment. I intend to keep my 10 for a long time and I am not sure that going to the next model up is going to be that big improvement in my present system! I have found a good deal on the PSU buy calling a few dealers so that is why I went ahead and bought it. SME like many companies get a good product to market then to keep the money coming in they add updates to this and that to keep the item at the front of the pack. I suppose if they sold you the best in the first place then you would not buy another and the company would not survive!!!! and of course electronics improve all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinn View Post
    By co-incidence, I got a new power supply last week. My deck is a different model to yours, but I suspect the results will be the same. First: all rf problems just cease. I can't provoke the supply into making a noise through my sut/valve mm stage. Secondly, the new boards give the unit more power, to further increase speed stability (already superb) You can hear the extra life and pace from the deck, the soundstage is also better deliniated , with more silence between the notes.
    If you plan to keep your 10, and as you suffered RF issues, it seems a sensible step. Pity SME didn't get to grips with this issue some years ago.

+ Reply to Thread