+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: PetRat HiFi

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    I don't know what the name of the font lettering is that Marantz used on their fascias back then but it's uniquely elegant. I used to gaze longingly at their ads in hi-fi mags in the late 70s.

Pete
    Thought it just me that did that....

I'm Grant.

Its of the Metropolis family fonts, of which there are about a 1000 or so.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

I'm Mike.

Nice second system Peter. All quality "iconic" components.I bet that sounds really sweet.

Been after a decent PM-4 myself for quite a long while, having heard one a few times and liking them whatever they are driving.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    I don't know what the name of the font lettering is that Marantz used on their fascias back then but it's uniquely elegant. I used to gaze longingly at their ads in hi-fi mags in the late 70s.

Pete

Apparently, the logo was a hand-drawn derivative of the rather art deco font, Metropolis, which looks a bit like Broadway to me :
    http://fontsinuse.com/typefaces/23744/metropolis
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    Nice second system Peter. All quality "iconic" components.I bet that sounds really sweet.

Been after a decent PM-4 myself for quite a long while, having heard one a few times and liking them whatever they are driving.
    Yes, Mike, I've been liking it very much. Never really been a fan of Marantz amps in general, and I was expecting this one to be a bit gutless in the 'Class A' mode, but it has excellent drive, and is really performing at quite a high standard. Similar specs to a modern Sugden A21, but I think better! Certainly, it runs cooler, and the phonostage is better.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkie37 View Post
    That looks like a fun second system Peter. I have been tempted myself to get a second system .....

Of course, it would be fun to put an old rosewood cabineted Luxman system (just like the one that I had when I was 20) in the basement of our new house........
    Go for it, Don ... it is great fun! While our aging buddies are now (finally) able to buy the motorbikes they craved as teenagers, we'll be out buying up that high-end 70s/80s Japanese hifi we drooled over back then

I'm Peter.

Default Tannoy Revolution XT-6 speakers

The new little Tannoys are running in nicely, and I've been pleasantly surprised. I picked them up half-price in a 'Black Friday' sale deal, and they seem nicely balanced and a good deal more lively than I'd expect from a 6 inch driver in a small box. There seems to be quite a bit of sensible design and technology at work here. The specs and an interesting cross-section diagram are in the brochure, which can be downloaded from the website ...

http://www.tannoy.com/lifestyle/prod...volution-XT-6/

I'm Geoff.

I should think they sound rather nice Peter. They are bound to image well.

I'm wondering if the drivers are a development of the ICT dual coaxial/dual concentric unit originally marketed by Goodmans and later taken on by Tannoy. They are certainly different to the dual magnet tulip waveguide types.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/loudspea...inal-part.html
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Interesting, Geoff! These Tannoy drivers do look very similar to the ICTs, with (apparently) Tannoy claiming improvements in the tweeter 'dome' shape (a torus) and waveguide profiling.

I've never been too impressed with speaker manufacturers who take mass-produced, cheap 'off the shelf' OEM drivers, stick them in a (computer simulated) little ported box (total cost, tens of pounds) and sell them for hundreds or thousands of pounds. However, I must say that these seem to be a much more thought-through, with some considerable investment in the speaker unit manufacturing if nothing else. Certainly, there doesn't seem to be any sign of cost-cutting ... an example being the magnets, which are pretty substantial for a small speaker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast