+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: PetRat HiFi

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    No, can't do this week at all, I've just been dragged into managing another house build (which I've been trying really hard to avoid) so I'm all over the place at the moment. Should really be onsite today but you've got to get your priorities right! I'll drop you a PM save drifting this thread any further (sorry Peter).

p.s. you were right about moving the room around, lots of changes since you were last here!
    No worries, dudekins, just let me know when you're ready - and in the meantime, enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    there's something seductive how tannoys can sound on the end of a big japanese solid state amps. i've heard a few of these combinations either in japanese bars or record shops and i was always mesmerised, especially for vintage jazz (what you anyway hear all the time at these places). i was inspired to recommend to a friend to match his berkeleys with marantz 80s A-class esotec PM-5 and given the price (slightly over a grand total) it's hard to be beaten.
    The dealer who sold me the Canterburys claimed he'd installed many pairs over the years, and he reckoned the best he'd ever heard were driven by a big Luxman integrated transistor amp. In fact, he was quite insistent that solid state was the way to go with all big Tannoys, especially Westminsters.

I'm gordan.

funny you mentioned that, yesterday i had a very surprising encounter with a vintage 100w luxman L-100. what a terrific amp if matched with the right speakers!
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Gordon.

Peter - great to hear you're enjoying the Nakamichi.

Your description is exactly as I found - no lack of detail, but no edge either and real grip and control in the bass. And I'm impressed that you were able to hoik it up to the top of your equipment rack!

Regarding the transformer noise - they all seem to have a very low level hum, although it's not obtrusive. I have several other amps with large toroids and they all hum to a lesser or greater or degree - there's lots of nasties on the mains these days and toroids, especially large ones are the most susceptible. Out of curiosity I priced up a bog standard replacement 40v secondary toroid - it cost as much as the entire amp!

Many of these multichannel AV amps seem to have increased crosstalk simply because there are so many channels close together in one chassis. It's one of the reasons I use two amps as it keeps left and right amplification completely separate. These are about the only two negatives about the amp that I can find and they are not major from my experience.

To my ears they just sound so natural and "right."

Gordon

I'm Peter.

Sorted out the rack

And set up the Platine ...

I'm Peter.

Thanks for the interesting comments, Gordan and Gordon ...

How are you getting on with the new amplifier, Darren? Any hernias, yet?
    Last edited by petrat; 21-06-2015 at 16:22.

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    How are you getting on with the new amplifier, Darren? Any hernias, yet?
    I'm loving it Peter! As a AV amp I think it's excellent. Still early days yet (maybe 30 hours on it) but may end up replacing my 405's? It is a heavy and bulky beast though, my rack's only just deep enough to accommodate it.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Peter.

Default Lounge Audio MkIII phono-stage

Just got around to trying out the Lounge Audio phono-stage, seen alongside the Edwards MC3 on the second shelf in the photos above (post 135). It's quite a bargain, bought direct from the manufacturer.

http://www.loungeaudio.com/#!lcr-mr-iii/c1vla

Early days, as it's not really run in yet, but sounding quite promising so far.
    Last edited by petrat; 21-07-2015 at 17:58.

I'm andrew.

Default Nak.

Has the Nak. replaced your Ear 534, or is it just a summer amp?

I'm Peter.

Hi Andrew.

I am off work & at home next week, so will be putting the EAR back in the system at the weekend, which will no doubt rekindle my love of the old girl. But, yes I have been enjoying a cooler listening room recently

I also have a lovely pair of Harbeth HL-P3ESR mini-monitors, which are sublime with the 534, so may end up with two systems

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast