+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: PetRat HiFi

I'm Peter.

Nakamichi

This arrived yesterday.

It's the 7 channel AV amp, which impressed Ken so much in .... http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...o-Halfway-Tree

Ran it in overnight, on repeat CD, bi-amped into my Tannoys. Fortunately, the full-width Music First TVC preamp has two sets of XLR outputs, so easy to connect.

Just been playing LPs via the Edwards MC3 phono-stage, so this is the first time in quite a few years that I've got a completely solid state set-up.

Verdict so far? Well, bi-amping seems to change the character of the Canterburys, perhaps for the better. Still got a bit of running in to go yet, I think, but sounding promising so far.

I'm James.

Interesting, looking forward to the review.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Interesting, looking forward to the review.
    x2
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Peter.

Another evening of listening, followed by another night of CD blasting, and it's beginning to really come on-song. To be fair, two of the interconnects and two of the speaker cables are brand new too, so it's not just the amp that is settling.

Initial impressions are mainly positive. The extra power, grip and bi-amping do exactly what you'd expect, with those 15 inch cones now under complete control. I used to wonder why some people always referred to big Tannoys as 'studio monitors', not because they weren't used as such, but because they never ever sounded at all like the hyper-detailed, soul-less, active ATCs I used to own. Well, this amp has certainly revealed a different side to the character of the Canterburys. From Ken's description, I was fully expecting to hear more low level detail (due to very low noise floor), coupled with 'jump out of your seat scary' dynamics (more power), and that is exactly what we've got. What I wasn't expecting was the way it also manages that (rare IME) trick of providing lots of detail, but still integrating the sound into a coherent whole (i.e. music, rather than a collection of noises, if you see what I mean). There is virtually no sign of any of the 'transistor nasties' I have sometimes heard (grainy, etched, hard sound), from deepest bass to highest treble the tone of it is excellent and realistic. Downsides so far? Loss of a bit of soundstage depth; less 'palpabilty' of vocals/instruments that a good valve amp does; rather 'matter of fact' presentation IMO. I suppose some people would say it was telling the truth Oh, and I shattered my spine lifting it

A couple more things that are worth mentioning. It has a relatively high gain (29dB), which coupled with a 47K Ohm input impedance (rare on ss amps IME), means it works beautifully with my TVC pre-amp, and would probably be OK with a passive pre, too. The other is that my sample has a slight, low level, mechanical buzz coming from the transformer, so needs to be a couple of metres away from the listening position. I've had this before, notably with Naim kit, and it will vary depending on the quality of the mains supply (e.g. any DC components), so may just be a local problem.

So, interim conclusion would be that if you have speakers that have the capability for bi-amping or tri-amping (having true 'split' crossovers, usually needing links to operate single wired), this is an amp that could really open things out. One word of warning, maybe? I think that this amp is revealing enough to really show up poor sources and preamps 'upstream', so, cue famous movie quote ... 'can you handle the truth?' Despite being called an AV amp, this is a proper hifi amplifier, of that there is no doubt. At £400 (+ £40 p&p) direct from the distributer, it is extraordinarily good value. Totally agree with Ken ... I too would not have been surprised if they were asking multiple times that price.

Ken's original thread ... http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...o-Halfway-Tree
    Last edited by petrat; 18-06-2015 at 07:40. Reason: reference for original thread

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice write-up, Peter, and glad you're enjoying tour new sounds

Looks like Ken has unearthed another, you seen it on AoS first, 'SPPV special', with that brute of a Nakamichi! Well done to Ken. It's always great to discover another 'giant-killer'

I can see quite a few more folk giving the Nak a spin!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I can see quite a few more folk giving the Nak a spin!

Marco.
    You'll have to pop round for a listen to mine, it should arrive today!
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Defo, mate. Let me know when you fancy it. Not today, as I've got stuff on. Could do it tomorrow?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Darren.

No, can't do this week at all, I've just been dragged into managing another house build (which I've been trying really hard to avoid) so I'm all over the place at the moment. Should really be onsite today but you've got to get your priorities right! I'll drop you a PM save drifting this thread any further (sorry Peter).

p.s. you were right about moving the room around, lots of changes since you were last here!
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm gordan.

there's something seductive how tannoys can sound on the end of a big japanese solid state amps. i've heard a few of these combinations either in japanese bars or record shops and i was always mesmerised, especially for vintage jazz (what you anyway hear all the time at these places). i was inspired to recommend to a friend to match his berkeleys with marantz 80s A-class esotec PM-5 and given the price (slightly over a grand total) it's hard to be beaten.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Ken.

Glad your liking the amp Peter, this quality of build and sound doesn't turn up at the very reasonable price very often.

Fill your boots guys before the price goes up - it will.

I can't take the credit for discovering this amp as it was Gordon "Halway Tree" that put me on to it, just glad I could spread the word via AoS.

Darren - I think the amp will really work well with your Celestions, looking forward to your feedback.
    Last edited by Qwin; 17-06-2015 at 09:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast