+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: PetRat HiFi

I'm Geoff.

I prefer the TD150. It sounds as good and is simpler.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

INTERCONNECTS

These have turned out to be perfectly adequate, and I'm now using them on the vinyl rig. Oddly, I had bought the cable some years' ago, before the AoS recommendation, and had built up a pair of XLR cables to link an EAR 868 to a Naim NAP 300. For whatever reason, it (the cable) wasn't a great success ... so, I was rather surprised at how good these RCA ones have been. Thanks to Marco for nagging me to get them built

In the past, I have experimented with Rega's recommendation to use the balanced output of the Isis, but had always found the RCA outputs to be slightly better. Despite the fact that I'd come to the conclusion I generally prefer RCA connectors, the acquisition of a Music First MkII preamp prompted me to give XLRs a go once again. This time I decided to get a couple of pairs of basic, cheap microphone-cable jobbies ....
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0030LWZCC
    .... which I connected up between cd player and preamp and power amp. Now, neither the pre or the power amp are true balanced components (and I doubt the Rega is, either), each using transformer 'isolation' for both their relevant XLR and RCA outputs & inputs, so I wasn't expecting much of a difference ... if anything, I was expecting a slight degradation, as they were replacing some very fancy RCA i/c's.

Result? They work very, very well. No loss of fine detail (which is what I experienced previously), very low noise floor, maybe slightly more dynamic than the RCA predecessors. Not bad for £5.50 a pair! Goodness knows how they sell them for that price, as their construction seems OK. Anyway, just goes to show it's all system-dependent. What amuses me is that previous XLR interconnects that I rejected in long-gone systems included some quite high-end (i.e. expensive) ones. I'm trying not to wonder how they might sound in this set-up
    Last edited by petrat; 31-05-2015 at 07:23. Reason: Clarification

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I prefer the TD150. It sounds as good and is simpler.
    Never heard one, so an interesting observation. I prefer the look of the 125, though

I do like your sig, Geoff. Actually, I'm not too far from what it 'advises' ... just the DD turntable, really ... there's that damn itch again ... must not scratch itch, must not scratch itch, must not ... too many turntables ...

I'm Peter.

Thorens TD125

Woke up at 5am this morning, couldn't get back to sleep, so went to listen to some music. Using the TD125, it sounded a bit lacking in bass, and rather sluggish. I remembered I had a new Thorens belt stashed away, so decided to dig it out. The one that came with the deck was a Thacker, and when I took it off and compared it to the new one ... well, it must have been about an inch longer! New one fitted ... now much better. Leading edges of notes have now reappeared, bigger sound-stage, dynamics, bass, etc, etc.

I'm Geoff.

Good TT the TD125. Keep it! You'd have to spend a fortune to better it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

a new belt is a big upgrade...surprising but true
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Thorens TD125

This is the third 125 I've owned, and with all of them I've ended up playing around with mats. Tried all sorts, but always thought there was more to come than the mats were allowing. Been messing around with them again today, when I had a thought. Looking at the Platine, with its metal platter, and then realising that I use a Tenuto mat* on the 401 ... both with really good results ...

Took off the mat, reset the VTA, plonked the record on ... bingo! Huge improvement. I mean, really noticably better in every way.

Looking round, I see I'm not alone in preferring vinyl resting on the bare platter/metal. In addition to Verdier, VPI turntables seem to follow the same approach on some models. Jeff Day's is another of the same opinion on his always-interesting blog (Jeff's Place). I am guessing there are two 'philosophies' of vibration control, much in the same way as equipment stands. One view says that you should 'isolate/dampen'', the other says 'couple/disperse'. Looks like I prefer the latter.

Now, the platter on the 125 is two-part construction, and so doesn't ring at all when 'in situ', but it does look a bit rough with holes in it, so I am looking for a suitable thin metal mat to put over it. The Tenuto is too heavy for the suspension, so I guess I maybe need an aluminium or alloy mat. Unfortunately, the only one I can see is Japanese and cost $350 via a retailer in New York.

* http://www.hifiwigwam.com/puresound-tenuto-platter-mat/
    Last edited by petrat; 18-06-2015 at 07:37. Reason: Spelling

I'm Grant.

have you tried a 3mm funk? my fav on my thorns so far. also srm s tripod iso discs between platters is a top tip
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

TD125 should benefit from strategically placed bracing and damping if retaining the standard plinth.

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Thorens TD125

Woke up at 5am this morning, couldn't get back to sleep, so went to listen to some music. Using the TD125, it sounded a bit lacking in bass, and rather sluggish. I remembered I had a new Thorens belt stashed away, so decided to dig it out. The one that came with the deck was a Thacker, and when I took it off and compared it to the new one ... well, it must have been about an inch longer! New one fitted ... now much better. Leading edges of notes have now reappeared, bigger sound-stage, dynamics, bass, etc, etc.
    I can relate Peter. I had my setup in the family room along with all sorts of other gear, before moving it into it's own dedicated room. I had been bothered by some hum when playing records. Not really bad but it interfered somewhat when turning the volume up to 'fun' levels. Finally with the help of a friend, I/we broke down and ran dedicated ground wires from the turntable to the SUT and from the SUT to the integrated amp. Hum is gone! So much more enjoyable

I should have gotten up off of my bum much earlier and taken care of this!
    Vertere SG-1 Turntable / Audio Note IO Gold MC
    Audio Note AN-S8L MC Transformer
    Audio Note Pallas I/C (SUT-Preamp)
    Audio Note M6 Phono Preamp
    Audio Note CDT 3/Audio Note 4.1X Balanced Signature DAC
    Audio Note Kassai Monoblocks
    Audio Note Sogon Interconnects
    Audio Note Pallas Interconnects
    Audio Note AN-Vx Interconnects
    Audio Note Sogon Speaker Cables
    Audio Note AN-E SPE HE speakers
    Audio Note ISIS Power Cables