+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: PetRat HiFi

I'm Andy.

Peter, could you give us any more thoughts on the SME IV vs AN-I arm?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Mike.

Well Peter, just in case anybody hasn't already told you, that is a mighty fine set up you have there. I particularly like the TT's, real classics and very capable decks.

How do you find the TD125 stacks up against the 401 ?
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Peter.

I bought the SME IV about 10 years ago, when I got the SME10 TT. It has standard internal wiring, and I use it with a Nordost Heimdall i/c (I found the supplied VdH one really masks detail, for some reason). In a nutshell ... beautifully made, so easy to set up, adaptable ... sound majors on clarity and precision.

The Audio Note was bought this year, ex-dem from Deco Audio, and is the lowest specced version with copper wire thoughout. I believe it uses some sort of 'captured' unipivot bearings. Beautifully made, not quite so easy to set up as the SME, but what is? .. sound majors on detail, coherence and fluidity.

Both seem to have good extension at the frequency extremes, but I reckon, blindfolded, many would prefer the sound of the AN over the SME. They are not that dissimilar, but the SME errs towards the strengths often associated with CDs, whereas the AN errs towards a slightly more 'organic' sound. However, the differences are slight, and I guess will vary with cartridge.

However, and it is a big HOWEVER, considering the difference in new price is £1200, there really isn't any contest.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    How do you find the TD125 stacks up against the 401 ?
    Once I get my Spirit cartridge back, I intend to to some comparative testing between all three TTs over the summer. I probably will end up selling one at some point, but not sure which at the moment!

This is my second TD125, having stupidly sold one a few years back. I also had a Garrard 301 in a Bastin plinth for quite a few years, which eventually went to a friend. I guess most people are familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the Garrards, but probably less so with the Thorens. Personally, I love the TD125, finding it nicely detailed, 'unhurried', relaxed ... well, maybe 'natural' is the word. It benefits from a decent cork mat or ringmat, but I think for the money it is hard to beat. On the other hand, the Garrard is more exciting but maybe a bit less detailed. Put it this way ... if I want to relax, its the Thorens ... if I want to boogie, its the Garrard ... if I want to know what's on the record, its the SME.

I'm Tirthankar.

Great looking setup.. sure it sounds wickedly good too
    JRiver Media Center with WASAPI(Event) - Asus Essence STX coax - XLO Ultra 4 - PS Audio DL3 (Cullen 4 mod) - VDH D102 mk3 - DIY Stepped Attenuator - VDH D102 mk3 - Quad 306 - AQ Indigo 2 Hyperlitz Biwire - B&W CDM1se = Musical Bliss

I'm Robert.

Nice system and well done choosing the best mm cart out there

I'm John.

That's a great looking system you've got there Peter!
    I was particularly interested in reading your comments and thoughts on the Audionote arm - I am thinking about a possible arm upgrade myself and the Audionote certainly drew my attention. Just a silly question: does it use the old style Rega threaded base?

I'm Peter.

Thanks!
    Yes, it is old Rega 24mm screw jobby.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Thanks!
    Yes, it is old Rega 24mm screw jobby.
    Cheers! Happy listening!

I'm James.

Hi Peter, those were great gears!

Can I ask what is the box second from top, just below your EAR amplifier?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast