I'm Peter.

I'm Paul.

Really interesting, thank you for sharing this Peter

I'm Peter.

Thank Geoff!

.... and Adam, of course

I'm Paul.

They were an interesting read. Cheers.

The Tesla sparking speaker he links to must rank as one of the most epic speakers ever built - not sure it's a good idea for a bake-off though... not with 800 amps in play!

lescrooge Guest

All very nice and fine - but what are the mortgage payments on that lot.

For starters, I probably (don't) have the oldest pair or even the most wickedly enticing pair of interconnects in the World.
    What I have is a pair of two way, end to end, nickel plated solid metal phono plugs I made in 1969 - koz that is how you do things (then and now).
    Back then we called them leads.
    Had I known there was a giant market of uninformed mugs( I mean Hifi addicks) out there, I could have retired as the Interconnect king, but I didn't and I didn't.

We showed up @ the 1999 London HiFi show NOVOTEL W6 with a Denon 5000 DVD deck, an SME turntable & arm, an Ortophon ace pickup and an Audio Note stereo amp.
    We added in on our own, a JVC Discman, some bellwire speaker interconnects, my 1969 'interconnects' and a pair of my Cornucopias with screechy LOwther EX4 drivers.

My electronic wizard took his handmade and personally designed circuit 50 watt monoblock solid state amps (2), his handmade and personally designed hybrid pre-amp - with hitherto unreproduced circuitry, all constructed from RS Supplies, off-the-shelf electronic bits, along with handmade pots, and we proceeded to get up a lot of peoples noses.
    Only those what understood sound stuck around.
    We ended up on the Saturday nite with a Quad2 monoblock on one channel and one of Henry's solid states on the other, playing vinyl - like there was no other way to do it, all thru his hybrid preamp.

We then decided to dump the Audio note in favour of the Roger's Cadet stereo power amp and none of the assembled throng ( and there was not even standing room) noticed a missed beat.
    (The Audio note and the Cadet were both rated at 8W RMS PC)
    The only diff being the £3k in the AN price. The AN being £3050 and the Cadet £50 (which I still have to this day)
    Keeping the blaggers, B$$ers and general scoundrels of the HIFi world in fine fettle AWA a job) is highly admirable.
    So good on yer.

One question
    Where do you find a woman as tolerant as yours?
    Mine wants to burn the lot - but then she is culturally deprived - or depraved.
    I put it down to inbreeding or her upbringing - or perhaps both.

I'm Martin.

Great post that Louis. And you are right: When did it stop being 'leads' and start being 'interconnects'?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

When it was realised you could charge more. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Great post that Louis. And you are right: When did it stop being 'leads' and start being 'interconnects'?
    A "lead" is what you use to walk the dog with whereas an interconnect connects bits of kit, which become, errr, interconnected

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334