+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hobby for life!

I'm Dave.

It's easy to get obsessed and drawn into the law of diminishing returns. There comes a point where spending a fortune only makes a tiny difference to the enjoyment of the sound. This will be highly controversial but I am of the opinion that it is possible to put together a system (used, of course) for way under a grand that will be 99.9 per cent of a 10 grand system. But that's where the obsession comes in - trying to find that extra 0.1 per cent. Personally I prefer to just relax and enjoy the music and not worry about that last 0.1 per cent, I can fully understand those that want that last bit though. Maybe it's because I am self employed and don't have that sort of money to throw about, maybe it's because I have so many other things to spend my money on.
    Rob is spot on though, we buy and build systems to please ourselves and to listen to our music - nothing else matters. What may be theoretically right or wrong and whatever theories may have sound scientific foundation behind them the only thing that is important is how your system makes you feel when you listen to your kind of music.
    Long may it continue.
    Dave.

My first serious hobby was to listen to music, I dont want to select the tunes, most times I even dont want to know who is playing...

I would spend entire afternoons closed in my parents living room kistening to radio, while my 7 brothers and sisters fought in the bedrooms...

I kind of "studied" a bit about classical while building a nice CD collection during my 7 years in Canada, now I just tune MEZZO or MCM, depending on my mood, and listen to whatever they play, my discs are used almost only for demo...

I started the hifi hobby in 1979, interrupted between 1987 and 2000, now it is my main hobby, I also try to play Golf whenever the weather and job permit...

Meanwhile I did my share of photography, until my equipment was so cumbersome that I stopped using it, also had Harley-Davidsons, betweem 1992 and 2002, I miss them, and the lovely trips around europe...
    Antonio Melo Ribeiro

For me this is only an hobby...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12