+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New MC Cartridge - Help Needed

I'm Geoff.

That's a distinctly unusual line up you've got there Tony.

the AR TT and AT arm with the Goldring are actually a good match. If you like it, stick with it. Better will cost you!

The A60 is not one of my favourites. Many here on AOS may disagree, but I found it dull and bland. It did nothing wrong, but lacked real ability (only my opinion, before I get slated).

The JR 149 has its followers, mainly in the LS3/5a clan. But it's not a bad speaker, just don't expect any great dynamics. If you want a very good sounding small speaker with proper wellie that won't break the bank, have a look for a pair of original 80's Mission 780 SE's! They are remarkable!

I won't comment on tuners as I don't use them any more. As for DACs, mine are oldish (but very good), and I don't know what would suit your purposes.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's a distinctly unusual line up you've got there Tony.

the AR TT and AT arm with the Goldring are actually a good match. If you like it, stick with it. Better will cost you!

The A60 is not one of my favourites. Many here on AOS may disagree, but I found it dull and bland. It did nothing wrong, but lacked real ability (only my opinion, before I get slated).

The JR 149 has its followers, mainly in the LS3/5a clan. But it's not a bad speaker, just don't expect any great dynamics. If you want a very good sounding small speaker with proper wellie that won't break the bank, have a look for a pair of original 80's Mission 780 SE's! They are remarkable!

I won't comment on tuners as I don't use them any more. As for DACs, mine are oldish (but very good), and I don't know what would suit your purposes.
    Thanks Geoff, appreciate the advice

Apologies to the OP for going way off topic

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post

Apologies to the OP for going way off topic
    No probs - it's all knowledge.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Have you heard a good ADC? I have several and they are truly exceptional by any MM standard and will out perform many MCs for sheer sound quality.
    I've been hinting at that for years, but not sure of these sentiments will fall and germinate here

The G900IGC could sound a bit astringent in systems designed for soft and beefy sounding cartridges. In todays generally more balance systems, this should never be an issue I reckon. I'm sadly minded of dems I did with the Technics 205 III and hating the bloody thing 'cos it sounded too thin and hard for me. later experiences proved the total opposite - bloody 1980's Linn and Naim
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoff.

Dave, did you ever try the Technics EPC-305 MC?

I had one for years, bought new in the early eighties. It was my favourite MC, Supex SD900, Fidelty Research 301MC, various Dynavectors and Ortofons etc. and even a couple Decca Exports came and went, but the Technics stayed. It was superb. I only sold it a couple of years ago when I bought the ZYX R50 Bloom!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ant.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    I need to replace my AT OC9 ML II. Some things it does well, but the things it doesn’t do quite so well are frustrating.

On joining this forum I mentioned in my intro that in the chain of LP12/Ittok/Icon Audio PS 1.2/Musical Fidelity A5cr Pre and Power/ProAc response D28's it sounds a little too hard and bright: lot's of incisive detail and clarity which I want to obviously keep but the background harshness has to go on my next cartridge. A little more bottom end weight and warmth would also be welcome.

I’ve had some useful guidance and suggestions from forum members, but I now need to move forward with a short list.

1 Benz Micro Ace S L (Seems to review well everywhere)

2 Dynavector DV20X2 (Looks promising but has been described as “possibly dull” – admittedly on a new example. Also described as “Dark” – anyone explain?)

3 Audio Technica AT 33EV (Would I get more of the same as it’s another Audio Technica – or how much better is it than the OC9 (if at all?))

4 Ortofon Cadenza Red (Top end of what I’d like to pay and looks a b*gger to connect – would need a compelling reason to go this route)

5 Benz Micro Glider – if I’m up at Cadenza Red money this comes into play: but is it just a naked Ace?

If anyone can quantify the sound qualities of the above it’d be a big help to me – especially if in comparison to each other. Even better would be their listening experiences in relation to the OC9 II.

Shelter 501 was also suggested but there doesn’t seem an easy route to get one of these except via Hong Kong which I have no issue with but it’s “fiddly” by comparison. Would the effort be worth it and does it blow the rest away?

I’ve not been able to listen to any of these so the list is just from reviews (dangerous – the OC9 was bought on the same basis) and comments (personal preferences come into play and we all tell it differently because we like different things). It’s also just one item in the chain and has to fit with the arm / phono stage etc.

As it’s so difficult to demo cartridges now, I guess this is about the only way to narrow things down a bit: views are welcome.
    On an Ittok, a Dynavector DV20X2 would be a good match it terms of compliance. Lots of Linn users recommend Dynavectors as a good mechanical and tonal match.

I'm Deleted.

They do, but I'm not a big fan. The Dynavector's always sound a bit tonally bleached for me.
    Account Deleted

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Onion View Post
    On an Ittok, a Dynavector DV20X2 would be a good match it terms of compliance. Lots of Linn users recommend Dynavectors as a good mechanical and tonal match.
    Thanks for the note, Ant. Do you have experience of this combo and if so what are your impressions?

Opinions seem to be divided..........

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Dave, did you ever try the Technics EPC-305 MC?

I had one for years, bought new in the early eighties. It was my favourite MC, Supex SD900, Fidelty Research 301MC, various Dynavectors and Ortofons etc. and even a couple Decca Exports came and went, but the Technics stayed. It was superb. I only sold it a couple of years ago when I bought the ZYX R50 Bloom!
    Yes, and also the Best Buy mm model in mk3 guise. To my eternal shame, the mm didn't work with our (now) hideous Linn/Naim systems (too neutral) and although the MC model was liked very much, the main focus went elsewhere and Technics wanted more of their (by then) low cost crap stocked at minimal profit margin as well, so we just carried on for a few years with Panasonic TV's until they too demanded too much turnover

Quick idea of margins back then on Panny/Technics - 15K per annum for 15% margin, £25K minimum for 25%. Most HiFi electronics forms give around 35% margin with quick-pay settlement and some speakers now offer up to 50% to the chains, but these chains have to commit to a huge turnover to get it!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678