+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New MC Cartridge - Help Needed

I'm Bob.

Default New MC Cartridge - Help Needed

I need to replace my AT OC9 ML II. Some things it does well, but the things it doesn’t do quite so well are frustrating.

On joining this forum I mentioned in my intro that in the chain of LP12/Ittok/Icon Audio PS 1.2/Musical Fidelity A5cr Pre and Power/ProAc response D28's it sounds a little too hard and bright: lot's of incisive detail and clarity which I want to obviously keep but the background harshness has to go on my next cartridge. A little more bottom end weight and warmth would also be welcome.

I’ve had some useful guidance and suggestions from forum members, but I now need to move forward with a short list.

1 Benz Micro Ace S L (Seems to review well everywhere)

2 Dynavector DV20X2 (Looks promising but has been described as “possibly dull” – admittedly on a new example. Also described as “Dark” – anyone explain?)

3 Audio Technica AT 33EV (Would I get more of the same as it’s another Audio Technica – or how much better is it than the OC9 (if at all?))

4 Ortofon Cadenza Red (Top end of what I’d like to pay and looks a b*gger to connect – would need a compelling reason to go this route)

5 Benz Micro Glider – if I’m up at Cadenza Red money this comes into play: but is it just a naked Ace?

If anyone can quantify the sound qualities of the above it’d be a big help to me – especially if in comparison to each other. Even better would be their listening experiences in relation to the OC9 II.

Shelter 501 was also suggested but there doesn’t seem an easy route to get one of these except via Hong Kong which I have no issue with but it’s “fiddly” by comparison. Would the effort be worth it and does it blow the rest away?

I’ve not been able to listen to any of these so the list is just from reviews (dangerous – the OC9 was bought on the same basis) and comments (personal preferences come into play and we all tell it differently because we like different things). It’s also just one item in the chain and has to fit with the arm / phono stage etc.

As it’s so difficult to demo cartridges now, I guess this is about the only way to narrow things down a bit: views are welcome.
    Last edited by bob4333; 26-04-2013 at 08:24. Reason: Text omitted

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Looks like you've got it well sorted guv'nor. The OC9 can sound thin and too light in the bass for some, whereas my experiences of the 20X2 are the opposite - full bass but "restrained" up-top possibly. depends on system obviously, and I was always a fan of the 17D series, with many don't like for similar reasons as the OC9..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rob.

The Goldring Eroica LX LOMC is incredibly well balanced and tracks superbly. However I haven't compared it to the others you mention.

Most people were surprised how good it was at Scalford this year.

I'm peter.

I sympathise; this is a common dilemma these days, and as you say, the opinion of other people is...their opinion.
    So, all I can suggest is try to find a helpful dealer, some do demo cartridges. And with the qualification about individual preferences in mind, I would point to the Glider. Mainly because I know it is better balanced that an 0c9 (far too bright for me), sounds excellent and has good trade-ins. Don't know the Ace so can't comment. Given your tastes, you might steer clear of Lyra stuff, which tends to favour the treble. A good Ortofon might do the trick, but in truth many mc unit have a rising treble. On more left-field line, you might look at a Grado moving iron. They are warmer and rather fine, the wooden bodied ones anyway. Good luck, it's not easy.

for your cart replacement, have a word with expert stylus, they offer a very good px scheme on Benz carts.

I tried a glider and found it very good, even handed across the range, and a real joy to listen to. I compared it at the time to a Apheta and Dynavector. In the end I stayed with the Apheta, with the glider running it a very close second. The Glider being more balanced, the Apheta a little brighter, with a little more attack. I use a ios phono stage which probably helped the apheta more than the glider, although both seemed at their best with 100 ohm loading.

The dyna was the ''old'' model, and I understand that the x2 version is a little lighter sounding. It had really good tone and texture, and was as well balanced as the glider. I can only assume what people describe as dark sounding is the overall tonality, and can understand what they mean, but can not describe it in words, other than to say it does not have the same top end sparkle and freedom as the Glider or Apheta, which may or may not be a good thing.

I have since been told that the Glider shares the same generator as the ace sl, and you pay more for the body. I don't know if its true or not, I do however think the glider has something over the ace, but that is a reaction from hearing them in a different system.
    Sod the hi-fi, listen to the music

I'm Paul.

Bob.

The difficulty is finding dealers that will dem cartridges and stock a wide range. See you are in Solihull and therefore suggest MAX nr Kidderminster. Don't know which ranges they now stock though.

As far as those you suggest are concerned I would look at the 'Benz Micro Ace SL' as it beat most of the usual suspects in a recent review. It does sound like a nice compromise between the 0C9ML II and DV20XL, both of which I have. The OC9 losses out in terms of mid range especially female vocals while the 20XL while having a lovely mid range can tend towards dullness. Another still worth considering is the Denon DL 304 but you need a phono stage that can cope with it's very low output.

Paul.
    Last edited by Audioman; 26-04-2013 at 10:06.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    Another still worth considering is the Dynavector DL 304 but you need a phono stage that can cope with it's very low output.
    Was that meant to be Denon DL-304?

I've owned one. It sounds sweet, but does not have a particularly weighty sound. The DL-103R is a more satisfying cartridge.

My money would be on the Shelter 501 II though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

I've owned one. It sounds sweet, but does not have a particularly weighty sound. The DL-103R is a more satisfying cartridge.

But the Shelter is in a different price bracket I think to other cartridges Bob is looking at. (Error Corrected !)

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

The Shelter 501 II does read well and the price from 2juki looks OK even with the customs risk. The words make it sound like the last cartridge anyone needs to buy - ever!

"This cartridge has treble air without brightness, transient speed without overshoot, definition without edginess, focus without sterility, and bass weight without any thick or syrupy coloration. Is this cartridge as close as you can get to top-tier performance for $800? I think it is......"

The numbers also look promising but can anyone throw light on how it sounds against others on my list? It might just be clever wordsmithing.

I'm starting to think a "Dynavector OC9 II" might be a good listen

MartinT Guest

The Shelter is a damned fine cartridge, I had a 501 before my current 5000. It majors on midrange detail, liquidity and has a good and full bass end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast