+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker adjustment tweak -- worked a treat for me

I'm Tirthankar.

Did some measurements, hacked into my brain to recall some high school trigonometry, and calculated the elevation to be closer to 5 degrees

Looks like my eye estimation was way over the top
    JRiver Media Center with WASAPI(Event) - Asus Essence STX coax - XLO Ultra 4 - PS Audio DL3 (Cullen 4 mod) - VDH D102 mk3 - DIY Stepped Attenuator - VDH D102 mk3 - Quad 306 - AQ Indigo 2 Hyperlitz Biwire - B&W CDM1se = Musical Bliss

I'm gone.

yeah - 20 degrees and the speaker would probably fall over if the drivers are near the top.

I'm Stephen.

The idea is not a new one and dates back to at least the '80s. Didn't work for me when I tried it back then.

Here's an alternative. Haven't tried it myself due to domestic arrangements.

P.S.
    One speaker manufacturer used to supply small wedges for use with their speakers to tilt them up. Can't remember if it was Yorkshire Hi-Fi.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm ChrisB.

One speaker manufacturer used to supply small wedges for use with their speakers to tilt them up
    Heybrook did a thing to go between the HB2 speakers and stands - it was a bar shaped thingy which went across the front edge.

I'm Deleted.

Linn made stands for the Isobariks (the last stands they made for them) that had metal spacer bars at the front that angled the speakers back by about two degrees.

Jimmy Hughes had some pretty esoteric ideas (might still have) with regard to speaker positioning; DSJR (Dave) knew him pretty well in those days and often heard his system.
    Account Deleted

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Wasn't it Jimmy Hughes who advocated firing speakers backwards at one time? I remember trying it, though I could't see or hear the attraction!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

I went to Jimmy Hughes' flat once - a split level living room, the speakers were on the lower level, the listening chairs on the higher level. The firing of the Isobariks at the back wall worked quite well in those circumstances and kind of squirted the sound around in a somewhat omnidirectional manner. Strange but true.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I went to Jimmy Hughes' flat once - a split level living room, the speakers were on the lower level, the listening chairs on the higher level. The firing of the Isobariks at the back wall worked quite well in those circumstances and kind of squirted the sound around in a somewhat omnidirectional manner. Strange but true.
    A bit like the philosophy that Bose use with their 901's?

I heard that Amar Bose worked out that when at a live concert, approx 90% of the sound reaching our ears is reflected, and the other 10% direct, hence his design of 8 drivers reflecting off a wall, and 1 forward facing unit.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12