+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete's first steps into the Art of Sound

I'm Peter.

Thanks Geoff. Yeah, it's definitely gone up a few notches this year.
    The speakers are Mission MX3s, that I bought new a few years ago. I bi-wired them recently, and that opened them up a bit more - a noticeable difference.
    Peter

I'm Peter.

I want to try some Celestion Ditton 15s for a while, then maybe some Spendor BC1s, and then possibly Tannoys of some sort. Just to give them a go. The idea being that I get a pair, live with them for a while, sell them on and get something new (whilst keeping hold of the Missions).
    And, I wouldn't mind getting a Trichord Genesis transport at some point, and maybe a Monarchy Audio DAC if one turns up at the right time.
    Last edited by symon; 16-03-2015 at 23:59. Reason: typo
    Peter

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by symon View Post
    I want to try some Celestion Ditton 15s for a while, then maybe some Spendor BC1s, and then possibly Tannoys of some sort.
    Why mess about Peter? Just get the Tannoys. A pair of 15" Berkleys with a few sensible mods will get you there.

(then you'll find out what the rest of us Tannoy users have been on about. There's no going back once you've got the bug)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Ha. Well, Tannoys have a high opinion of themselves, and charge accordingly.
    Plus, I'm not a person who does mods at the moment. But, that could change.
    Peter

I'm Peter.

And, there's something about the journey, too. I like what I have, but only because I have very little to compare it too. Surely there must be some fun in trying out different stuff.
    Peter

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by symon View Post
    Ha. Well, Tannoys have a high opinion of themselves, and charge accordingly.
    Plus, I'm not a person who does mods at the moment. But, that could change.
    Well there's a pair of rare 3128 Cheviot II speakers in Ireland which may go at a sensible price. These are what I use and they sound absolutely superb, apart from a little rewiring they have no mods. They're notably better than the similar sized HPD Cheviots and Monitor Gold Chatsworths (which I've also owned in very good condition). A strong recommendation from me!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Che...item25a2147a53
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Thanks. I shall keep those in mind. Maybe look for some in England without the £150 postage
    Peter

I'm gone.

Nice looking system. I've not come across those Mission speakers before - sounds like they do it for you, Peter. But yes, a little speaker swapping is enormous fun when done sensibly.
    Interesting that the presumably quite low power valve amp (el84?) manages to drive them well. Power is often overrated, ime! - it can be surprising what a low power amp can achieve.
    -- EDIT: Ah, OK, just checked the Missions out. Low price but good according to the usually reliable WHF review. 89dB/W - yep, that should boogie!

You mentioned the T-word (Tannoy ) - not my cuppa char, but a marmite flavour definitely worth trying if the sound appeals to you. And you aren't too far from Paul @RFC who can do wonders with Tannoy mods and is a great source for advice.

In the sort of used price range you are considering, the real standout speaker from my speaker swapping days was a pair of JBL L110 Monitors - blimey! - cost me less than £150 iirc, and one of the best speakers I have owned at any price! Definitely worth looking out for a pair of JBLs of that sort of vintage (late 70s early 80s).

I'm Peter.

The KEL84 amp is a little star .. not just in VFM terms, but in absolute performance. You'll have to go a long way up the upgrade path before you'll get anything significantly better IME. If you've just got the standard kit components installed, consider getting some better signal capacitors, which would bring clear improvements for relatively little outlay. It's a job that most technicians familiar with valve gear can do, as it is a simple circuit (also, see World Designs forum).

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Nice looking system. I've not come across those Mission speakers before - sounds like they do it for you, Peter. But yes, a little speaker swapping is enormous fun when done sensibly.
    Interesting that the presumably quite low power valve amp (el84?) manages to drive them well. Power is often overrated, ime! - it can be surprising what a low power amp can achieve.
    -- EDIT: Ah, OK, just checked the Missions out. Low price but good according to the usually reliable WHF review. 89dB/W - yep, that should boogie!

You mentioned the T-word (Tannoy ) - not my cuppa char, but a marmite flavour definitely worth trying if the sound appeals to you. And you aren't too far from Paul @RFC who can do wonders with Tannoy mods and is a great source for advice.

In the sort of used price range you are considering, the real standout speaker from my speaker swapping days was a pair of JBL L110 Monitors - blimey! - cost me less than £150 iirc, and one of the best speakers I have owned at any price! Definitely worth looking out for a pair of JBLs of that sort of vintage (late 70s early 80s).
    you sell the crown Jerry? thought you loved it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast