+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pete's first steps into the Art of Sound

I'm Grant.

Very good Peter. The Paegents are very nice speakers. Awad integrated as well... Ive the power version. 16 watts of loveliness
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Thanks.
    Yeah, the amp. every now and then I wonder what other boxes might sound like, but I just can't imagine not having this amp. I am very happy with it. Adding things around it that are equally lovely has been a fun game and I'm nearly there. Although, I don't know where the speaker swapping will lead.
    Peter

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by symon View Post
    Thanks.
    Yeah, the amp. every now and then I wonder what other boxes might sound like, but I just can't imagine not having this amp. I am very happy with it. Adding things around it that are equally lovely has been a fun game and I'm nearly there. Although, I don't know where the speaker swapping will lead.
    As long as they are sensitive speakers you will be fine. Plenty great ones out there that wont break the bank. Ive done my speakers swapping and have all the boxes to prove it. 9 sets at last count
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Yep. You have two sets that I'm tempted by, but they are out of my price range at the moment.
    So far, everything I have had has been fine with the amp. Really enjoying the pageants. Better than the Tannoy Mercurys (which were, to be fair, half the price) and a good improvement on the Celestion Ditton 15s. So, I like these kinds of speakers - Dittons and Pageants.
    Peter

I'm Geoff.

You'll have to spend a bit to better the Pageant 2 speakers. I think I mentioned them to you a while back. They always sound good.

You've got a nice combination of gear now. The amp will be hard to improve on without serious expense. EL84 valves are sweet, same as used in the well regarded Leak Stereo 20. The Pioneer CD player and Theta are good together. Dunno what phono stage you're using, maybe that's an area to look at.

If you are interested in moving up the speaker chain, Grant (struth) has a wicked pair of largish and very good Tannoy 637s for sale at a bargain price.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ander-speakers

If I had room, I'd buy them myself. The drive units alone fetch more than the asking price.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You'll have to spend a bit to better the Pageant 2 speakers. I think I mentioned them to you a while back. They always sound good.

You've got a nice combination of gear now. The amp will be hard to improve on without serious expense. EL84 valves are sweet, same as used in the well regarded Leak Stereo 20. The Pioneer CD player and Theta are good together. Dunno what phono stage you're using, maybe that's an area to look at.

If you are interested in moving up the speaker chain, Grant (struth) has a wicked pair of largish and very good Tannoy 637s for sale at a bargain price.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ander-speakers

If I had room, I'd buy them myself. The drive units alone fetch more than the asking price.
    I am considering that and keeping the cabs
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Yes, I think it was your discussions with Jamie that drew them to my attention. £40 they were. One of the switches doesn't work as it should, but it all sounds great to me.
    The Pioneer is good fun, and sounds good. The phono stage is an ifi. It goes very well with the Lenco (certainly better than the Dino). If I was to move on from it, then I might consider serious spend and and get a Firebottle, maybe. I should probably invite Alan back again to hear his new beastie, or to put the Firebottle 2 up against the ifi.
    And, yes, Grant's Tannoys are very tempting. As are the IMFs. But, they are not for me yet. I'm still footling around the £50 or less mark for speakers. However, I might start saving a little more and moving up. I definitely want to try the Celestion Ditton 33s (or 44s), and some better Tannoys, and some nice transmission line speakers (so, yeah, Grant's speakers). Need top put some money aside for them first.
    Aside from that, I'm happy to have the Pageants here for a while. I can live with them for a bit longer.
    Peter

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I am considering that and keeping the cabs
    Best do it the other way around. Put the drivers and crossovers in smaller, floor standing sealed cabs. That'll give you the kind of bass balance you favour.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345