View Poll Results: Which of the following should be looked at first to improve sound quality

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • ring main including consumer unit (fuse box) and earth grounding

23 67.65%
  • power leads

2 5.88%
  • mains regenerator

6 17.65%
  • mains conditioner

3 8.82%
  • balanced power transformer

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power

I'm gone.

The problem here is that very few (any?) folk have tried all the options. I certainly haven't!

A significant improvement can certainly be had just by changing power cable, ime. And then regenerators work well, too, and can give bigger gains, ime. I'm about to try a balanced power supply doohicky (on order).

THEN I might consider faffing around with major changes to my household wiring installation -- then again, that sounds like a lot of faff when worthwhile gains are to be had easily elsewhere for similar or smaller outlay.

I guess if I was in search of unobtainable perfection I might be bothered.
    But I'm not.

I'm Paul.

I would argue that the first step should be to measure your power supply to see if ANYTHING actually needs to be done!

Following that, a separate dedicated spur isn't a bad idea. I'd also replace the cheap and nasty switched sockets with better fitting better quality switch-less sockets (such as the Furutech ones). In fact, if nothing else is done at all, this can be a worthwhile upgrade in itself. If the costs associated with a dedicated consumer unit/spur exceed the cost of a mains regenerator, then I'd plump for the regeneretor.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    I would argue that the first step should be to measure your power supply to see if ANYTHING actually needs to be done!

Following that, a separate dedicated spur isn't a bad idea. I'd also replace the cheap and nasty switched sockets with better fitting better quality switch-less sockets (such as the Furutech ones). In fact, if nothing else is done at all, this can be a worthwhile upgrade in itself. If the costs associated with a dedicated consumer unit/spur exceed the cost of a mains regenerator, then I'd plump for the regeneretor.
    +1

Only sensible to have a good idea about what your existing mains supply is like and the condition of your electrical distribution system is like before throwing money at regenerators and exotic leads and so on.

I used a scope to look for noise on the mains waveform, which was mostly pretty clean,but got a lot noisier when the kitchen fluorescents were on. the refrigerator also contributed a few pops and clicks, as did the Ch Controller.

Both of these problems were sorted out by a new memera split bus CU and four dedicated radial circuits.

Does an electrician have an instrument that can measure harmonic distortion of the mains? If you knew that was an issue you might look at regenerators .

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

MartinT Guest

I have voted for ring mains and grounding. Although I am a regenerator fan, you must ensure that your mains setup is optimal before you go down that route otherwise you'll be trying to repair shitty mains. The idea is to make as-good-as-you-can obtain-mains even better. A good external ground into soil gives great results, but get an electrician in if you don't known what you're doing.

I'm Robin.

Also make sure any earth bonding near the consumer unit is cleaned up. Made a difference to me or it could be my imagination of course.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123