+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: A short history of early Ortofon pickups

I'm Geoff.

Not surprised you like that Charlie. Vintage Ortofon MCs tend to sound lovely. Nice find.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not surprised you like that Charlie. Vintage Ortofon MCs tend to sound lovely. Nice find.
    It's nice to have two 60s vintage carts on my Platine Verdier - the SL15 ELL on my Schroeder and the Decca C4E on my Hadcock.

I'm Marc.

Default Rare and "spendy" Ortofon ESL C-100

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    Hi Barry

The Ortofon/SME bayonet is normal for A shell stereo. The EMT diamond versions are rare.

It's certainly and ortofon C-99 and the ESL version was just badge engineering.

The gyro / jewel is an interesting one though. IT it an Ortofon or is it an ESL development?

I recently came across an Ortofon made ESL C-100 cartridge that is new old stock and was wondering if someone could shed a light on its sonic possibilities. The picture in the ad is the c-100 with the rounded profile the C-99 is angled. I assume it would be a very similar sound compared to the C-99 which I also have not heard except maybe some slight improvements? This website here has some brief info including a schematic ((http://www.hupse.eu/radio/reproducers/C100.htm)) as well as the specs at the bottom of the page. The price jumped $30 over the C-99 so perhaps it was just high demand. The science is beyond me so what I am asking for is for an experienced Ortofon fan to tell me about the C series mono carts and how having a pair in tandem working might sound. Its pricey hence the research. There is a fellow who has posted a few videos on youtube showing his turntable with the c-100 mounted but I find it hard to tell the "flavour" that way.
    Many thanks and I look forward any descriptive language to help me understand what I might be in for with a high mass REK O Kut tonearm.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hello Marc,

Sorry I've only just discovered your post. I have absolutely no experience of any of the ESL cartridge range, however if the compliance figures for the C99 match the effective mass of your Rek O Kut arm, then it could work OK.

Can you let have the figures? - I'll then be able to advise more fully.

Regards
    Barry
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567