+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: A short history of early Ortofon pickups

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Awesome stuff, Andy!

I'd love to hear that arm and cartridge combo one day, on say a nice Thorens TD-124, or an SP10, in suitable plinths. I can imagine that the results would be stunning!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Awesome stuff, Andy!

I'd love to hear that arm and cartridge combo one day, on say a nice Thorens TD-124, or an SP10, in suitable plinths. I can imagine that the results would be stunning!!

Marco.
    I missed out on buying one from a guy whom I purchased some other bits from in america some years ago. He asked me if I wanted an old ESL arm cartridge and SUT for an additional $50. I was unaware of them and their connection to Ortofon at the time and passed on the offer. It was only when the bits I purchsed arrived a few weeks later I found he had included a pic of the ESL. I then realised what it was. When I contacted him it was already sold.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi Andy,

We all know that in practice Ortofon cartridges were only available fitted into Type A or Type G shells, but Ortofon at one time mention the use of a third, Type B shell. The illustration in the Ortofon leaflet clearly shows all three, as well as mentioning the overall weight of each version. I’m just curious to know what happened to the Type B shell – perhaps Ortofon found no demand for it, so dropped it.

The designation “G” as used by both Ortofon and later EMT (to denote ‘empty’ headshells: the TSD-G) might be from the Danish “generelt” and the German “generell” for ‘general (purpose)’.

I think you are right about ESL being an American company. My researches found a reference implying it was a Danish company, however I believe this was a misunderstanding; ESL clearly were agents and distributors at that time for Ortofon products in the USA. A similar situation existed here in the UK: SME were reciprocal agents for Shure products; KEF for ADC cartridges and arms and Lowther for Dynavector (then marketed as Ultimo). I believe Radford were at one time agents for B&O cartridges.

Reference is made in the ESL leaflet you show to “Danish hand craftsmanship”. This is the possible source for the misunderstanding that ESL was a Danish company.

It is also likely that ESL obtained a license from Ortofon to manufacture moving-coil cartridges of their own design. It was only after Ortofon’s patents lapsed in the mid ‘70s did we see an explosion of moving coil designs emerge from Japan.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Clark.

Hi Barry

I think the B shell you refer to is the AB that has a stlylistic synergy with the Ortofon A212 arm.

I assume it was discontinued along with the arm.

See reply 58 here
    http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...?topic=6812.45

There was an even earlier oval headshell that had a different mounting arrangement but essentially the same Mono A cartridge

I'm Clark.

Hi Barry

Another little part of the Ortofon/Fonofilm history is Linnet & Laursen (LL). They uses early Ortofon arms and cartridges in their high quality radio / phonograms that were badge engineered with their own logo the double L.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Linnet & Laursen both previously worked for Bang & Olufsen before setting up their own company. They ceased trading around 1965 so made it into the stereo era but I don't know if they made a stereo phonogram and there were SC or SPU cartridges with their logo.

http://beophile.com/?page_id=2245

Find a few more connections and we'll have six degrees

I'm Pani.

Default Ortofon SL15 ELL

Friends, I have been longing to hear an SPU for quite some time now. Recently a friend of mine lent me a SL15 ELL to try out in my system and said it is a very close relative to the SPU and hence should sound 'almost' like an SPU. This cart came with its own STM72 step up transformer. Generally I have read that SPUs sounds warm, rolled off, bold, dark and thick (I may be incorrect but thats the general opinion I got by reading). I expected the same from the SL15 ELL BUT it was nothing like that, the SL15 ELL rather sounded very open, clear, extended and uncoloured. It is also quite a fast cartridge with a very nice flow to the music. Compared to my Kontrapunkt B, the SL15 was a little less refined, slightly less macrodynamic and less bass power but it compensated by having a more open sound, better flow and slightly more nuanced than the Kontra !! Wow thats some achievement considering the the Kontrapunkt B is one of the best mid priced Ortofon of recent times and this SL15 is a 40 year old design. Moreover the current age SPUs have progressed a lot (thats what I read) with products like Meister Silver and the likes, does that mean the SPU Royal N should be a huge step up from the SL15 ELL ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pani View Post
    Friends, I have been longing to hear an SPU for quite some time now. Recently a friend of mine lent me a SL15 ELL to try out in my system and said it is a very close relative to the SPU and hence should sound 'almost' like an SPU. This cart came with its own STM72 step up transformer. Generally I have read that SPUs sounds warm, rolled off, bold, dark and thick (I may be incorrect but thats the general opinion I got by reading). I expected the same from the SL15 ELL BUT it was nothing like that, the SL15 ELL rather sounded very open, clear, extended and uncoloured. It is also quite a fast cartridge with a very nice flow to the music. Compared to my Kontrapunkt B, the SL15 was a little less refined, slightly less macrodynamic and less bass power but it compensated by having a more open sound, better flow and slightly more nuanced than the Kontra !! Wow thats some achievement considering the the Kontrapunkt B is one of the best mid priced Ortofon of recent times and this SL15 is a 40 year old design. Moreover the current age SPUs have progressed a lot (thats what I read) with products like Meister Silver and the likes, does that mean the SPU Royal N should be a huge step up from the SL15 ELL ?
    Hello Pani,

The SL15 ELL is a comparitively rare, higher output, version of the SL15E. I have used Ortofon moving coils for the last 40 years. First with the SL15E and SL15E Mk.II and then with a short lived MC20. I wasn't that enamoured with the MC20, preferring the SL15Es. After the MC20, I got involved with EMT and Denon moving coils, though I still have my SL15E's.

Now I am using a 'new' SPU. It is a recent model using a rare earth magnet, and despite being fitted with a spherical stylus, is fast, detailed, has good attack and is open-sounding. Like you, I can't understand how others find the SPU sounds "warm, rolled off, bold, dark and thick "

Certainly the Meister Silver and Royal N models ought to be better, but I'm going to live with, and enjoy, my SPU for a good while before I think about changing.

Regards
    Barry

I'm T.

I've inherited a 1950s-60s Lp collection played with Ortofon SPU (according to the pictures from back then). Most all of these discs play superbly to this day. I figured a nice new OM-40 Super would keep them sounding nice for years to come! Would love to find an early hi-fi table and original SPU in good shape someday .

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Tommy. So much then for the bollocks people spout about heavy-tracking cartridges 're-cutting' records, and over time, causing damage, eh?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pani View Post
    I picked up a vintage SL15 ELL this week from a collector on the Wam - £150. It's mounted on my Schroeder Model 2 carbon and fed into the on board phono of my TRON Meteor preamp. Sounds surprisingly good for a 40 year old cartridge. Tracks well. Sounds very open. Lovely midrange and plenty of bass attack. Delicate top end. Certainly a keeper.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast