+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A short history of early Ortofon pickups

So sorry, I did forget to mention that I live in New York City.

Barry, I have several SPUs, both A and G.

Type A shells have a square contact pattern, the same as the G, but the alignment pin is on the bottom of the bayonet instead of the top like on G shells, or SME type standard shells. I believe that only some very early SPU A shells were made for EMT decks (with the diamond pattern) before they added the magnifying glass. Type A shells can be used on Ortofon G arms with the addition of an adapter that adds the necessary length to achieve the proper offset angle.

I happened to find a photo of an A shell with the cartridge removed this morning and I thought I'd upload it here so that you could clearly see the weights I was referring to.

All the best,
    Devon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Devon.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thanks, Devon - I've added those details to your profile

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi Devon

I’ve given some more thought to your enquiry and I now appreciate the difficulty of ‘dating’ Ortofon SPUs, since they remained in production from their introduction in 1959 up until 2007, when production was stopped owing to non-compliance with EU RoHS rules. I don’t know if any changes were made either to the mounting block or to the label on the headshell that would allow one to date them.

Modern SPU-As are modern SPU generators (now manufactured for Ortofon by Nagaoka in Japan) fitted into Bakelite Type A shells.

As can be seen from the photographs in the above website, these new SPU-As can be distinguished by the flat gold coloured label inscribed ‘ortofon since 1918’, in lower case san serif lettering. The mounting block within the headshell way well be made from aluminium or of nickel-plated brass; either having a silver colour, that you mention. The following is an interior shot of a modern SPU –G (E?), showing the ‘silver coloured’ mounting block.

The following shows a 1980’s SPU-A; it is difficult to see the colour of the mounting block although it does look as if it might be made of brass.

And the following shows the cartridge in its presentation case.

From this you can see the label is flat, black and has ‘ortofon’ written in san serif letters.

I suggest that for further information you might try Oswald Mill Audio
    http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/vintage.html

Sorry to be of little help
    Regards
    Barry

I'm Clark.

I know this is an old thread but just for completeness here is the leaflet for the Ortofon SC which I believe was the first Ortofon stereo cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    I know this is an old thread but just for completeness here is the leaflet for the Ortofon SC which I believe was the first Ortofon stereo cartridge.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. Do you know the date and provenance of this leaflet? I'm curious about the notation: the SPU was Ortofon's own designation for the stereo pick up.

I'm wondering if the designation 'SCA', 'SCB' and 'SCG' were for the American market. In Europe the SPU fitted into the whale-shaped headshell was known as the SPU-G.

Regards
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

This might help answer that question Barry:
    http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13098
    welcome back by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    This might help answer that question Barry:
    http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13098
    welcome back by the way!
    Thanks Chris,

I tend to become a bit of an obsessive over this sort of detail. It would seem to be a merely a difference in designation as I suspected, but I would like to know why the two notations existed.

One of the posts on the vinylengine site states:

"The only difference between an Ortofon SPU and a non-SPU Ortofon MC cart is the compliance. The use of different materials and different styli do not change the actual design. The EMT TSD-12 and the original TSD-15 are simply rebadged SPUs with a different headshell. The TSD-12 logically had a 12um stylus and the TSD-15 15um.

Unless otherwise identical, there is probably only minute differences between the TSD-12 and 15. If there is an "SPU sound," it's related to the big, heavy and dense alnico magnet and short cantilever."

This answers a question I have been asking for a long time (though I didn't know of the TSD-12). It might be of interest to Marco.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. Do you know the date and provenance of this leaflet? I'm curious about the notation: the SPU was Ortofon's own designation for the stereo pick up.

I'm wondering if the designation 'SCA', 'SCB' and 'SCG' were for the American market. In Europe the SPU fitted into the whale-shaped headshell was known as the SPU-G.

Regards
    I think the leaflet is from about 1958 but I can't be sure.

The SC range of cartridges were a stereo development of the Mono A, B & C cartridges and used two of the mono coils. They were unduly complex and the later SPU was a simpler design. Whether it was better I don't know as I have only seen SC cartridges in pictures. There was one auctioned on ebay a few years ago that sold for over twice what an old SPU would fetch.

This is an SCGC? although in the G type headshell that appears to be original.
    The cartridge is certainly different to an SPU

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    I think the leaflet is from about 1958 but I can't be sure.

The SC range of cartridges were a stereo development of the Mono A, B & C cartridges and used two of the mono coils. They were unduly complex and the later SPU was a simpler design. Whether it was better I don't know as I have only seen SC cartridges in pictures. There was one auctioned on ebay a few years ago that sold for over twice what an old SPU would fetch.

This is an SCGC? although in the G type headshell that appears to be original.
    The cartridge is certainly different to an SPU
    That sounds about right, Ortofon introduced the stereo cutter in 1957 and a stereo cartridge in 1958. I had always assumed this was the SPU, however there is a link from the vinylengine site to a Japanese site that says the same as you and even has a photograph of a similar looking cartridge. On the other hand however, the vinylengine site also has posts claiming the SCAs are SPUs in Type A headshells and the SCGs are SPUs in Type G shells. Not sure where this places SCBs.

It seems you have unearthed a very interesting bit of early Ortofon history, entirely new to me. It would seem likely that Ortofon did create a stereo pick up by combining two type A or type B mono generators into one unit, and these would of necessity be complex structures and difficult to make. The SPU as we know it would seem to be Ortofon's response to this challenge. I need to do some research and then will amend my Library article (of the same name). If I do so, would you mind your photograph of the SCG being used? You would of course be credited with the image.
    Last edited by Barry; 25-01-2011 at 22:11. Reason: Error in notation corrected
    Barry

I'm Clark.

Hi Barry

It's not my Photo. I found it on the web ages ago so don't know who to credit to.

This link has more photos of an SCA cartridge. They look familiar, possibly the one that was sold on ebay. Hope it helps add to your history

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/354094/2072797

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast