+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A short history of early Ortofon pickups

Barry,
    I'll take a couple of shots of the SL15 and SL15-ELL.

This page could be included if it readable.

Last edited by Will; 15-04-2009 at 10:14. Reason: add

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Barry,
    I'll take a couple of shots of the SL15 and SL15-ELL.

This page could be included if it readable.

Hi Will,

That would be great. No urgency, as I can't do anything for a couple of days. Don't forget to add your name, so that you can be given credit for your photos; I shall be adding credits to most of the others.

The page that you show makes the difference between the SL15 and the S-15T much clearer. I think it should also be included.

Thanks

Barry

P.S. Pleased to see that your 2-15K transformer fetched a good price. In this economically difficult time, perhaps I should think about selling mine.

I'm Mike.

Default Early m.c. cartridges

Fascinating stuff, Barry, and I seem to remember one of those ads. from, I should think. the late fifties/early sixties. My only experiences of Ortofons was an MC30 in the mid eighties ( a total mismatch with my early Naim gear) and my friend's Rohmann in the nineties (no 'get up and go').

After many Decca and Shure carts., I went 'moving coil' in the mid seventies with an Onlife. Nothing special, I suppose (too long ago), but I've never heard mention of it since. Have a sneaking suspicion that it was an early attempt by one of the (now) well-known Jap. cartridge makers.

In those days, or even before, mention was often made of the SPU-GT as being la creme de la creme, but it came, as I recall, with off-board transformer. Bit complex for the V15 Shure brigade (incl. me) to get to grips with.

SL15 and SL15-ELL
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Will or Barry,

Got any interesting info on the Shure M3D? I've just fitted one today to my 1210 with superb results

Classic cartridges rule!

Meanwhile, this is quite an interesting article on a chap's classic hi-fi journey:

http://www.roger-russell.com/mysound/mysound.htm

Marco.

P.S Will, I much preferred your high-output version (ELL?) of the SL-15 to the low-output version Toppsy sent me. I'm not sure why that was as low-output MCs are generally considered superior.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Marco, Steve has M3D stylus know how, which one to buy.
    The SL15-ELL is the one I prefere, more or better top end but they are like hens teeth.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I liked the SL-15 in many ways but ultimately found it a little dull and shut-in at the top end, and that was even with your excellent SUT.

The ELL version that was fitted to your 401 at Owston sounded similarly as 'sweet' but more detailed and open at the top-end; consequently it was much more satisfying, musically. I've got no idea why a few more coil turns in an otherwise identical cartridge (true?) should have such an effect. Normally in this respect, 'less is more' - i.e. low-output is better.

With regard to obtaining a stylus for the M3D, I've just bought this from Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stylus-for-Shu...742.m153.l1262

That should see me pretty well sorted

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Fascinating stuff, Barry, and I seem to remember one of those ads. from, I should think. the late fifties/early sixties. My only experiences of Ortofons was an MC30 in the mid eighties ( a total mismatch with my early Naim gear) and my friend's Rohmann in the nineties (no 'get up and go').

After many Decca and Shure carts., I went 'moving coil' in the mid seventies with an Onlife. Nothing special, I suppose (too long ago), but I've never heard mention of it since. Have a sneaking suspicion that it was an early attempt by one of the (now) well-known Jap. cartridge makers.

In those days, or even before, mention was often made of the SPU-GT as being la creme de la creme, but it came, as I recall, with off-board transformer. Bit complex for the V15 Shure brigade (incl. me) to get to grips with.
    I think I know what you mean about the Rohmann. My interest in Ortofons faded with my last: the MC20, used with Ortofon's MCA76 amplifier. Only used it for about a year but decided that it didn't sound as good as the SL15Es that I had. In retrospect, part of the problem might have been with the MCA76; it did not receive very good reviews and was not considered to be a good design.

I believe the 'Onlife' was made by Dynavector, as the 'Ultimo Onlife', initially distributed in the UK by Lowther.

Ortofon continued to quietly produce SPUs for the Japanese market. Increased demand from Western enthusiasts caused Ortofon to relocate manufacture to Japan and to re-advertise them. According to the cognocenti, modern Japanese SPUs are not as good as the original Danish samples. Sounds familiar? - new valves sounding not as good as NOS, new transformers not as good as older ones, new vinyl pressings not as good as they used to be.

I would like to try an SPU one day in light of my continued interst with the SL15s and the EMT range.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I liked the SL-15 in many ways but ultimately found it a little dull and shut-in at the top end, and that was even with your excellent SUT.

The ELL version that was fitted to your 401 at Owston sounded similarly as 'sweet' but more detailed and open at the top-end; consequently it was much more satisfying, musically. I've got no idea why a few more coil turns in an otherwise identical cartridge (true?) should have such an effect. Normally in this respect, 'less is more' - i.e. low-output is better.

Marco.
    I wouldn't describe the SL15E to be dull or to have a 'shut-in' top end, but I have never heard the SL15ELL (in fact I hadn't even heard of the ELL until a few weeks ago), I shouln't really comment.

Will be interested in reading your findings on the Shure M3D

Regards

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    SL15 and SL15-ELL
    Thanks Will,

I will include them in the revised write-up shortly.

Regards

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast