+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Class D amplifiers

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Thanks for some interesting comments. The reason I was thinking about it was that a while back I tried my AV amp in pure direct mode feeding my Mission speakers and I got the impression they liked having a lot of power in reserve. Also Rob (Puffin) mentioned he had tried the Missions with a powerful amp.
    Once you have an itch you have to scratch it!
    I've currently got 3 pairs of 780s around the house in my secondary systems, 2 pairs of SEs (with monacore bass units), and one pair of standard 780s...they're being driven by a mini-T, a muse class-T, and a Bantam Classic respectively.

I'd previously used an Audiolab 8000S (@65wpc) with my original 780SEs (bought in '95 I think), and I find the mini-t to be a better match for them, but that is with different drivers to the originals...
    Cheers, Will

I'm tony.

I run an original bantum in conjunction with an active pre, it will drive my spendors and electrostatics no problem even with a cam corder battery pack.
    If you require more grunt the temple mono blocks are more than man enough to get your trousers flapping and can be impedance matched to whatever you partner them with via the power button switch/different output phono.

if you can bi-amp your speakers a couple of mini t or 4 mono blocks will see you right.....all sound different but very good.

I'm angus.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    A review would be very much appreciated Angus. It's a reasonable price for a true digital amplifier-I think the NAD one is over $5000.
    There are some reviews here: http://forums.qlshifi.com/index.php/board,9.0.html

I tried several source equipment with this amp, the sound could be very smooth and sweat like a tube amp(with Stahl~Tek A.B.C. USB to Digital SPDIF), or good at pop, rock and jazz with just right bass (with QA660). Over all review, QA100 is a cheap, good amp with a lot of potential.

I'm angus.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/inde...4-way-comparo/

This post is the review for 4 D-class Amps

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Class D seems perfect for subs, since there's lots of low fequency power available in a cool running package, but I understand these modules can be complex and more costly than modern implementations of classic AB style circuits, which can now be made with no crossover distortion (if there is, it's well into the very low noise floor).

Just 'cos it's the latest thing, please don't automatically assume it's "better," since that's why GOOD valve designs can still offer so much pleasure. People like Quad (77 and 99 series) and AVI in the past have made some truly excellent Class AB designs which can sound sweet toned (Quad) and clean with excellent dynamics (AVI). The circuits have been fairly simple too from memory if the transistors are well chosen but I do admit it's a few years since I looked inside one of these...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Hugo.

There are good and not so good examples of any amplifier topology, so Class D devices are no exception. From my own experience of owning a Lyngdorf TDA2200 for something like 7 years, I find it difficult to imagine living with anything else. I've tried, but always found the Lyngdorf to offer a better blend of liquidity and delicacy that people tend to associate with valve amplifiers, but with great power and control too. Good Class D amplifiers sound anything but 'digital'.

This thread is more about inexpensive Class D amplifiers, but I do wish that people could avoid generalisations. Class D is here to stay and can be very, very good. That some aren't particularly good should not put anyone off the breed. I'd love to hear that new NAD C390.

I'm rupert.

Lightbulb Cookie box amplifier Class D

I have put together a quick build of a hyped UcD 180 HG with a single SMPS. The amp is still in a "bird's nest state" (awaiting the final enclosure). But even in this state it sounds great. Check out the picture. Any other amp would be picking up parasites galore this thing is so stable it is quite amazing. I can only imagine it will get better after I have cleaned everything up. And btw. it doesn't sound like a PA system

IMG_3262.jpg IMG_3255.jpg

I'm Justin.

Hypex nCore amp with JFET input stage etc. Had this driving my Apogee Duettas and it was very good indeed. Whilst it wasn't good enough to displace my 211 based monos, it was probably my 2nd fave amp driving my speakers and I have tried shed loads of others. Including another mega class D amp - the Rowland 301s.

Less than half the price of my 211 monos. BUT - I heard a two box prototype and cannot 100% vouch for what the final offering will sound like. I don't think much has changed, and I know he has sold some to another customer.

I reviewed it on the Wam some time ago if anyone is interested.

http://www.reality-audio.com/equinox_amp.html

I've always been curious about just how good some of the higher power super-cheap Chinese ebay offerings actually are, though. I heard an implementation of the Tripath chip mentioned in the first post on Jerry's MBLs and defo not for me, but on cheaper speakers - probably fine.

I'm keiron.

Over the last 6 years or so I have had amplifiers from the likes of Audiolab, MF, Quad, and monster stuff from Marantz, Yamaha, Sony, Rotel. At the moment I have Monitor Audio GS10 speakers. All fed by a NAS and presently a Rotel 1069 pre/pro.

There have been a couple of things about the sound that has not been entirely satisfactory recently - bass a little uncontrolled, occasional hardness/glare and not quite the "holographic" / reach out and touch sound that I would have liked.

Over the last week, I have acquired a Topping TP20 Mark 2 (TA 2020 chip, £43 new), a Poppulse T150 (TA2022 chip, bought used) and a Project Amp Box DS SE (power amp, not sure of chip, used). These are all bargain basement by the standards of what many people posting here have. So cheap in fact that people wouldn't even consider them.

I'm a real sceptic about this stuff. But by heck, all of these are fantastic. Absolutely incredible. They have, at a stroke, eliminated the weaknesses. Even with my speakers at 86db efficiency they are all more than powerful enough.

I think, possibly, although not the most expensive, the Poppulse is my favourite but there is nothing to choose between them really. In a blind test, I am sure I could not tell them apart (I can guarantee that). Which makes the little Topping an absolute stonking, unbelievable bargain.

I'm truly astonished and just regret that I hadn't latched onto this technology years ago.

I'm rupert.

Default Class D amplifiers

I can only approve ! I'm totally blown away with my little hypex build. it has the warmth of my modded Quad 306 and the precision and clarity of the NVA 40.2's but without any of the cable fussiness or grounding hassles I had with the latter. It is supported by a very large online community, it can be tweeked, modded., you name it.. it's fun to build and highly rated by those who have one..

I have put the amps into a alu case now with very basic wiring. Will be cleaning it up in the next few weeks. More photos to follow.
    Last edited by r100; 22-11-2013 at 23:45.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast