+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Class D amplifiers

I'm Jerry.

Default Class D amplifiers

The Tripath 2020 chip is popular on AOS with good reason but is suitable for low power designs. Anyone found a nice sounding class D implementation not using a Tripath for use in a higher power design?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm andrew.

Amps based on Hypex nCore modules are supposed to be the dogs danglies, I don't know of a commercial design that uses them but if you can diy or know someone it would be a good bet.
    Cost about £1200 for a pair of monoblocks.
    I had a Hypex based amp here with std modules for a couple of weeks and it was very nice indeed.
    Andy.

I'm dave.

I'm a happy user of the amp box DS from pro-ject a fine class D amp, not sure what they use inside they do not give much info.
    Myself I wouldn't want another type of amp I like the controlled bass and pure output.

I saw the Peachtree220 amp this weekend at a show, looks great and sounds even better.

I'm angus.

You may check QA100http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa100.htm. I just got a QA100 2 weeks ago, and is very surprised by the sound quality.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by aliuab View Post
    You may check QA100http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa100.htm. I just got a QA100 2 weeks ago, and is very surprised by the sound quality.
    A review would be very much appreciated Angus. It's a reasonable price for a true digital amplifier-I think the NAD one is over $5000.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by aliuab View Post
    That looks great, though obviously I have not heard it.. but on paper at least it looks fab, and a remote too! Hmm..
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm scott.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    Amps based on Hypex nCore modules are supposed to be the dogs danglies, I don't know of a commercial design that uses them but if you can diy or know someone it would be a good bet.
    Cost about £1200 for a pair of monoblocks.
    I had a Hypex based amp here with std modules for a couple of weeks and it was very nice indeed.

heard that the merrill class D with NC1200 are the dogs , $9,000 for a mono
    must be good as these are the Only class D amps that can drive Stats under one ohm
    loads , he demos at shows with sander sound systems 10c stats & these blow up class D amps as they reach 1/2 a ohm at HF

http://www.merrillaudio.net/page23.html
    Merrill Audio partners with Sanders Sound Systems demonstrating the VERITAS Monoblocks driving the Flagship 10C Electrostatic Speakers at the New York Audio Show, Room 1003.
    Hear it, you will want it.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

It's not really digital, not in the sense of the digital audio forum section.

It's more a switching amp like a switchmode power supply but with some kind of modulation going on in the speed of switching (or something).

It is called digital because of the stepped states. Digits are also fingers so maybe we should discuss wedding rings in this forum too

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The Temple Audio Bantam Golds are very good IMHO. They use an Analogue Devices chip.

I'm Jerry.

Thanks for some interesting comments. The reason I was thinking about it was that a while back I tried my AV amp in pure direct mode feeding my Mission speakers and I got the impression they liked having a lot of power in reserve. Also Rob (Puffin) mentioned he had tried the Missions with a powerful amp.
    Once you have an itch you have to scratch it!
    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast