+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: end of side distortion

I'm Lynton.

Thanks for publishing your efforts Ken. I've now tried your protractor with a Shure M95/SAS cartridge that is currently on my TT and I had already set up using the Technics plastic tool and the protractor made it so simple to do this. Great way to go for future set ups from scratch if using the Technics alignment.

Upon checking, it appears my existing set up was spot on and has always sounded great so the little tool can work well but then I may simply be very lucky and without any of the variables you listed applying in my case. However, whilst the tool can achieve an accurate overhang quite simply and quickly, I remember that getting the sides correctly aligned without an accurate printed grid to help took me ages.

Incidentally, I've always used the Technics alignment for two of my cartridges without having sufficiently long head shell grooves (standard Techy head shells) to accommodate and have used Baerwald for two others, one with a Jelco head shell and plenty of adjustment room. But I've always been very pleased with the standard alignment on the first two so I may start experimenting with the others now that your protractor adds to my set up accuracy.
    Last edited by Lynster; 18-04-2015 at 06:12. Reason: spelling
    Lyn

I'm Ken.

Lynton - Exactly.
    Its good, even if you just use the protractor to check your arm/plastic gauge gives the right set up.
    At least you can then use it with confidence.
    If anything is slightly out it will show up and you can use just the protractor in future.
    As you have found, if everything is spot on with the arm and all its fixings, the two methods should give exactly the same result.
    You should be able to set the cartridge with the plastic gauge then put the cartridge over the correctly positioned protractor and the stylus should line up with both null points at the correct angle.

I've been perdantic with the explanations in these posts so that any folks inexperienced at cartridge alignment can understand and benefit from them.
    I think if you look at the way I have drawn the protractor, I have left all the critical arcs and angle construction lines, it helps folks understand why the cartridge changes angle as it sweeps accross the record and how it is at right angles to the groove only at the two null points.
    It certainly helped in my understanding.

If anyone is interested in how much difference there is between Technics and Baerwald alignment, check out this drawing I did, where I have overlaid the two alignments:

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/Technics v Baerwald.pdf

Its strange how the grid squares line up, even though the effective length, null radii and offset angle are different between the two, but thats Maths for you.

Do not use this for setting up a cartridge, it will be confusing, stick to using the instructions and protractor on post #24.
    Last edited by Qwin; 18-04-2015 at 08:08.

I'm Matthew.

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitydawg View Post
    I've bookmarked this thread & will print out the protractor & align a cartridge over the weekend.

Not sure what it'll be yet; a hot favourite is a pristine Grado F1+ I found in a box in the attic recently.

I will report back in due course.

Thanks again
    It took until today to find time to use your protractor in earnest, Ken.

It all went according to plan except that it took much longer than anticipated.

My initial observations:

1) I am not sure my alignment skills are fully formed. So I will check it all again, tomorrow.
    2) I need to get my eyes tested. And stop relying on pound shop reading glasses
    3) I am amazed at the differences in sound quality caused by different mats. Initially I just used a bootlg Technics logo one
    that was left with the deck. Then a sorbothane mat found with the Grado F1 plus cartridge in the attic. Finally a cork & rubber compound one that I bought cheaply on eBay to go with a Thorens TD160 I have. Better & better sound as I changed mats.

Still a work in progress then. More later
    "The hi-fi fraternity is bizarre, full of dangerous amateurs" Tim de Paravicini Audio Magazine 1995
    "Objective measurements in audio are primary, but they are useless unless they have been subjectively validated as predictors of musical accuracy Edgar Villchur Stereophile 2005
    " What we cannot measure, we do not know" Lord Rayleigh

I'm Geoff.

Takes me moments to adjust alignment and I never get mistracking with any cartridge. I just use a forty year old card protractor that came from an ancient Hi-Fi magazine. I've got fancy ones, but don't bother with them. And I use cartridges that are not cheap!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Ive used a geo disc for years. works fine and is easy to use....am on my second one actually.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alexander.

Qwin
    Tnank you for your ideal protractor ! Because I've also had the Inner Groove Distortion in the end of record's side on Technics SL-1210Mk2 when using by stock Technics gauge and Baerwald alignment protractor.
    Technics SL-1210 Mk2 (Cardas Litz Rewired) +KAB PS-1200GX Power Supply +KAB Delrin-AF Thrust Plate +KAB TD-1200 Fluid Damper +Klotz MC5000 Phono Cable +Hana SL +Audio-Technica LT13s +Cardas 33 AWG PCCE BAC / Cinemag CMQEE-3440AH (25 dB) / Sander'Z MM Tube Phono Stage (Mullard CV4004) / VdH Mainsserver / Audient iD14 USB / Atlas Element A-B USB / Rotel RA-1520 / VdH Mainsstream / Klotz MC5000+VdH The Second / Flux-Sonic Stylus Cleaner / Okki Nokki RCM II / ProAc Tablette 2000 / Atacama 6i Stands

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitydawg View Post
    3) I am amazed at the differences in sound quality caused by different mats. Initially I just used a bootlg Technics logo one
    that was left with the deck. Then a sorbothane mat found with the Grado F1 plus cartridge in the attic. Finally a cork & rubber compound one that I bought cheaply on eBay to go with a Thorens TD160 I have. Better & better sound as I changed mats.
    Yes, I was too. I settled on a Funk Firm Achromat as this gave, in my system, the biggest change in sound.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by indy View Post
    Qwin
    Tnank you for your ideal protractor ! Because I've also had the Inner Groove Distortion in the end of record's side on Technics SL-1210Mk2 when using by stock Technics gauge and Baerwald alignment protractor.
    Your welcome, glad it helped you.
    I'm surprised more people don't use it, as far as I'm aware its the only one which uses the geometry and null points for the Technics arm. Technics use slightly different alignment to those normally used.

I'm Jacek.

For me end of side distortion desapired when I have switched from at95 to denon dl110 on same alignment. I have used template generator na Baetwald alignment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234