+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: File-Based Audio Done Right at John's

I'm ILOB.

I think its to do with the coding
    But to be honest I do not have Scooby do (Clue)
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

MartinT Guest

I don't know why SOX and Audacity encoding should sound different. I'll have to experiment some more.

I'm Steve.

Bloody hell - it was a sensible question

All up and about early aren't we! Hands off cocks and on with Sox!
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

MartinT Guest

Always in the office at 6am, Steve. Now for my 2nd coffee...

I'm ILOB.

I am usually chatting with Fe
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Well, I've upsampled a file in SOX to 32/88.2 and, playing back using VLC, it confirms the file format and the Caiman plays it! First impressions are good so I'll listen some more tomorrow and figure out a way of playing the file on my big system (so far, all my trials have been on the PC system).

SOX command to upsample to 32/88.2:

sox.exe -S -G --multi-threaded %1 -b 32 %2 rate -v 88200 dither -S

where %1 is the infile and %2 the outfile (works as a batch file).

Martin/All,

You don't need to apply dither when upsampling, only when downsampling. Dither is applied to reduce noise in the LSBs of the bit depth-reduced sample when you are averaging values below the 16th bit LSB. You are just increasing noise in the upsampled file by adding dither.

I think that most of the apparent increase in SQ when upsampling red book audio is to do with the differing effect of digital filters applied higher in the frequency range, with less aliasing/time smearing effects on the audible frequency content of the signal compared to the effects of filters when the sample rate is so close to audible frequencies (as it is with 44.1Khz sampling).

There isn't any more HF content other than some noise created by upsampling process, but the effect of the digital filters is moved further away from the audio band. Similarly, increasing the bit depth of a 16bit signal is just padding it with 8 or even 16 bits of zeros, no changes in dynamic range by increasing the bit depth of the source material. It may have an effect on the DAC, depending on whether it truncates bits the 8 LSBs in a 32bit container.

Cheers,
    Alex

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

MartinT Guest

Hi Alex
    I do understand, however I was experimenting with adding noise as it represents the least evil compared with quantisation noise. Covering it up (albeit at extremely low levels) seems to benefit sound in the upsamples. However, I shall experiment a little more with and without dither.

I'm Neal.

If you look at the spectrogram of a 44.1 to 88.2Khz up sample at the same bit depth you'll see some very strange things the two files are quite different.

---------------------------------
    Posted using Tapatalk
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm ILOB.

I find upsampling a mixed bag On my more heavier material I actually do not like what it does I think its something you have to thread with caution

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Forgive the diversion; but, in just reading the title of this thread, something smacked me in the head. I've been listening to file-based audio ever since I purchased my first CD. Analog aside (which I'll never give up for many reasons) and considering that all I'm doing, when I record on the Tascam, is creating files, I don't see why I should have an aversion to playing files whether it be from a disc (DVD) or a hard drive. My only real criteria for file playing would be a quiet delivery system and that seems quite doable, if less tactile and visually appealing. But, for the sake of the music... hmmmm... something for me to think about.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789