+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sealed LP's

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Trust me - don't EVER open and play that one Al!
    Don't sell it without opening is my advice as this pressing run was notorious for bad copies. I had 3 copies from Amazon at the same time and mixed and matched to get a good set.

Keeping OOP LPs sealed is asking for trouble. I would put my overall fault rate for vinyl at around 10% plus over the years. Chances when you open it there will be a scratch or warp. Personally I would pay more for a near mint play graded LP than a sealed NOS copy. Unfortunately there are too many 'collectors' and 'investors' out there now that are forcing prices artificially high. You may be surprised to see the amounts bid on trashed 'collectables' on ebay even when the seller is up front about the condition. Eventually the bubble will burst and people will be moving these on at lower prices.

I can't understand anybody who pays just to look at the spindle marked label on a ground up piece of old vinyl. I buy vinyl for the music. The only reason for buying expensive (mint) early pressings of any title for me is if I know that these are by far the best SQ. Also with sealed vinyl you can never be certain in most cases of the label version and pressing matrix hidden inside, so making it impossible to establish you are getting what you are paying for. Also beware of reseals. I suppose you are safe for records from the last 20 years or audiophile titles that have one limited pressing, but still run the risk of a bad copy.

I'm Josie.

Bloody ell.. Kate Bush Aerial goes for nuts money... I thought Goldfrapps Felt Mountain was crazy...

It would be nice if we could get figures to how many of each pressing were originally pressed.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Bloody ell.. Kate Bush Aerial goes for nuts money... I thought Goldfrapps Felt Mountain was crazy...

It would be nice if we could get figures to how many of each pressing were originally pressed.
    Don't know how many of Ariel but I would bet 1 in 3 will have serious pressing flaws. Strange about Felt Mountain as Amazon were selling them cheap only a few years ago. Appears profiteers move on as soon as something goes OOP. This was a slow mover for 6 or 7 years or they must have pressed a lot of copies.

MartinT Guest

Don't forget to reseal them when you're done.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    Don't know how many of Ariel but I would bet 1 in 3 will have serious pressing flaws. Strange about Felt Mountain as Amazon were selling them cheap only a few years ago. Appears profiteers move on as soon as something goes OOP. This was a slow mover for 6 or 7 years or they must have pressed a lot of copies.
    Felt Mountian seems to be on average £80 - £100. Glad I've got a copy to play... not paying that.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Nobody.

Well times are hard £££ everyone seems to be taking the piss these days.

I'm Josie.

+1 - Yep... my recent experience with a seller on Discogs has shown that.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Dave.

When I was a young man I used to collect Queen Vinyl and have a few still sealed including most of their 12" singles from Germany.

I sold a mint Roger Taylor album about 2 years ago for £700. So it can pay to keep them sealed...

I haven't done it since though.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

"Still Sealed" or "SS" = We've no idea what condition it's in or whether the pressing is good or junk. Nevertheless, we want you to pay crazy money for it. Poo's on you if it turns out to be a turd. Good luck and place your bid!
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Felt Mountian seems to be on average £80 - £100. Glad I've got a copy to play... not paying that.
    Just Checked my Amazon account - paid £7.99 each for Black Cherry and Felt Mountain in 2006. A copy of FM went for £50 recently on Ebay.
    Last edited by Audioman; 04-04-2013 at 23:03.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast