+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl glue

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    In that respect the reviginizer is worth a try if you need to prove to yourself that the expense of a proper RCM is worth it.
    That's an excellent point - find out how good clean records can sound and then invest to do it properly.

We've all done it, we've all tried to find a way to avoid paying the high cost of a proper RCM.

Like most jobs - there are three things that you ideally want to achieve - in no particular order:
    • Do it cost effectively.
    • Make a good job of it.
    • Do it quickly.

With all of the non-vacuum RCM methods you have to pick the two you are most comfortable with because sure as the sun rises in the morning, you can't have all three! And with some of the methods out there, you can only have one.

In my opinion, the vacuum RCM is the only thing that gives you all three.

But the reason we all look for other methods is to save the cost. There are two types of cost - capex and opex. That's to say capital expenditure (what you pay up front) and operational expenditure (running costs).

With an RCM the capex seems quite high but the operational lifespan is very long for that investment and crucially, the opex is very low. You make an excellent job of it and you do it quickly.

With the other methods the capex is low but the opex is usually very high because the operation life of your original investment is very short. You usually make a reasonable job of it (sometimes excellent) and you usually do it very slowly.

In record cleaning, as in business, unless they're careful people always get caught out by the opex!

Those are the the choices - there will always be a compromise to be made - you need to make the choices you feel most comfortable with but speak to anyone who's been in your shoes and tried to avoid the expense of an RCM and you'll find that they have never regretted making the investment. That is why they are almost never available secondhand.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The revirginizer is a good product and it does work. I tried it a couple of years back there is a thread somewhere. Chris is correct in that if you want to clean your entire collection - or even just the records you have in rotation, then financially it won't make sense. It was the sonic improvement from the reviginizer cleaning that bowled me over so much I invested in a Moth RCM almost immediately. In that respect the reviginizer is worth a try if you need to prove to yourself that the expense of a proper RCM is worth it.
    Hi Martin, I have to agree with some of the other posts that Glue is indeed expensive, time consuming and messy. Do you still have the MOTH RCM and does it do a good job as I would seriously consider buying one.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Martin, I have to agree with some of the other posts that Glue is indeed expensive, time consuming and messy. Do you still have the MOTH RCM and does it do a good job as I would seriously consider buying one.
    Yes I still have it and would wholeheartedly recommend it, I don't think there is anyone here who uses one who would not do so. The Okki Nokki does seem to be available slightly cheaper and again, no-one here who owns one has anything less than praise for it.

I had a reasonable collection (about 400 LPs) that had languished for many years due to scratches, stickimg, jumping and general noise. All those things that people say puts them off vinyl. With the vinyl revirginizer I cleaned a couple of records as test and it was jaw on the floor time - not only had it cleared up the noise, sticking and jumping, it had also improved the overall sq particularly in the high treble. That was when I bit the bullet and bought the Moth.

I now have many, many LPs that play as cleanly as a CD with absolutely no surface noice, pops or clicks. Records I bought as a teenager are rendered as new, my whole collection was opened up to my appreciation again, not to mention the hundreds of Lps I have since bought for peanuts second hand.

One last thing to consider - I don't remember the last time I had to clean the stylus - it must be well over a year ago. If you are using anything other than a twenty quid 'Saturday night special' the savings you will accrue in extended stylus life alone will pay for the RCM within a couple of years.

Regards
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12