+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stop Gap CD player

I'm Steve.

I reckon you will be pleasantly surprised by the DVD using RCA digi output.
    Only pain is the disc handling - slow to load up and perhaps skip tracks...
    I ran our £29 Alba DVD player up against the Teac VRDS T1 using a 7510 6/4 and the different was fairly minimal really.
    I've since moved on to a DPA Enlightenment Dac now and not done that test again. Perhaps I should...
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Peter.

See you run an SL1210 and a P3 side by side, a comparison I've never directly made. What do you think ?

Has the AT33PTG arrived yet ? It's the best cartridge I ever owned.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Steve.

Sorry for the hi-jack. Nope 33PTG not arrived yet. Hope before easter or I'll be ...... off.
    SL-1210 eats the Rega alive TBH. More of everything in the right places if you know what I mean. The Rega sound is ok - some love it dearly but the SL has much more class and detail in spades. This is with the same arm / cart and same platform to stand on so a very direct comparison.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I think it's been said elsewhere just how cheap it is these days to implement digital to a fair standard and the diminishing returns curve is very steep indeed from a fairly modest figure.

By todays standards, I reckon the CD52 IISE would be, in standard form and assuming it's still running, rather soft and bland and as for the hyped up CD63 KI Sig? Gawd, that was a harsh one if you got the matching bits wrong (interesting, because the original CD63 sounded very smooth and well behaved in a top end system I heard one in once).

If the el cheapo drive doesn't work out, have a look at current Cambridge or older Arcam players as transports at least. An Alpha 5 has a good transport which tracks very well and Avondale can supply refurbished mechs for a good while yet, as well as being able to breathe fresh life into the original circuit.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Chris.

If you change your mind and want a CD player, I suggest you grab this one quick before someone else does:

http://hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php...312&forum_id=5

A true classic!
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I think it's been said elsewhere just how cheap it is these days to implement digital to a fair standard and the diminishing returns curve is very steep indeed from a fairly modest figure.

By todays standards, I reckon the CD52 IISE would be, in standard form and assuming it's still running, rather soft and bland and as for the hyped up CD63 KI Sig? Gawd, that was a harsh one if you got the matching bits wrong (interesting, because the original CD63 sounded very smooth and well behaved in a top end system I heard one in once).

If the el cheapo drive doesn't work out, have a look at current Cambridge or older Arcam players as transports at least. An Alpha 5 has a good transport which tracks very well and Avondale can supply refurbished mechs for a good while yet, as well as being able to breathe fresh life into the original circuit.
    i have a cd 63 mkii ki and that i have to agree it is a pretty harsh sounding bit o kit with the wrong kit. the 7520 has made mine sound pretty good though

I'm Peter.

That sony looks really nice. But, as I discussed with Evelyne, better keep my ducks in a line. I have to keep in the right frame of mind to deal with UPS. so first attempt is the dig out of the DVD player.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.