+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the last track of a side not play as sonically sweet as the tracks before ?

I'm Robert.

Default Why is the last track of a side not play as sonically sweet as the tracks before ?

As per thread title. Why is this ? Is this inner groove distortion I've heard you guys mention ? What causes It ? Is it another one of those things in hifi where despite meticulous set up, everything's a compromise ?

I'm Nobody.

As in records? probably your anti-skate isnt optimum!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The "playing speed" is slower and the groove spiral wound more tightly at end of side. The main thing is that high frequencies occupy far less groove-space as at the beginning of side. Conical tips tend to be made to ride higher on high frequencies and this brings about less output. Fine-line style tips trace these inner grooves more accurately, but ride deeper in the groove and can collect debris and reproduce noise more if you're unfortunate.

Obviously, setup for side end tracking error is essential, although it's said that going bananas for correct geometry at beginning of side is less critical. Modern setup gives 65mm from side centre whreas in past decades, 60mm was the preferred. Shorter arms as on old garrard SP25's used 70mm as the null point..

I was told that some pressings had progressive high-treble boost added as the side went on, but I don't know specifics here. My mid 70's copy of Sgt Pepper sounded all but identical to the first CD issue at the beginning of the sides, but the roll-off at side end was clearly audible using a good elliptical stylus (I forget the cartridge, but it would have been a Linn MC one at the time).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neal.

Groove velocity is slower at the end of the record vs the outer tracks meaning high frequency information has less room to deflect the stylus. Along with the use of a pivoted tone arm with its angular error, stylus profile and inadequate anti-skate cause end of side distortion.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The "playing speed" is slower and the groove spiral wound more tightly at end of side. The main thing is that high frequencies occupy far less groove-space as at the beginning of side. Conical tips tend to be made to ride higher on high frequencies and this brings about less output. Fine-line style tips trace these inner grooves more accurately, but ride deeper in the groove and can collect debris and reproduce noise more if you're unfortunate.

Obviously, setup for side end tracking error is essential, although it's said that going bananas for correct geometry at beginning of side is less critical. Modern setup gives 65mm from side centre whereas in past decades, 60mm was the preferred. Shorter arms as on old Garrard SP25's used 70mm as the null point.

I was told that some pressings had progressive high-treble boost added as the side went on, but I don't know specifics here. My mid 70's copy of Sgt Pepper sounded all but identical to the first CD issue at the beginning of the sides, but the roll-off at side end was clearly audible using a good elliptical stylus (I forget the cartridge, but it would have been a Linn MC one at the time).
    It depends on the geometry employed by the arm designer. If the arm is designed to follow Sevenson's prescription, the radial null-points are at 60 and 117mm. if the arm is designed to follow Bearwald's prescription, the null-points are at 66 and 121mm.

Early UK arms: the Decca and Keith Monks (aka Audio & Design) as well as early SMEs all followed Stevenson. Later SME arms had their geometry changed so as to follow the Baerwald prescription.
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

I think the 'laws of physics' have a lot to do with it actually

I'm John.

what turntable and arm and cartridge are you using Robbie?
    https://j7rewires.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out J7 Rewires

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557054222982

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie7 View Post
    what turntable and arm and cartridge are you using Robbie?
    This one Johnnie http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22629 1210 with Micro Seiki MA 202 & Ortofon 2M Black.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Groove velocity is slower at the end of the record vs the outer tracks meaning high frequency information has less room to deflect the stylus. Along with the use of a pivoted tone arm with its angular error, stylus profile and inadequate anti-skate cause end of side distortion.
    I'd go with this reason..

The physics of a stylus reading a circular groove from the end of a pivoted arm.

out of interest, in theory should the sonic imaging change as you move into the centre? I would have thought the differences between left and right groove walls would be have diverging properties as you move to the centre groove, larger difference in wall length?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    This one Johnnie http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22629 1210 with Micro Seiki MA 202 & Ortofon 2M Black.
    deck looks good and cartridge in about the correct position...and its a well made cartridge

keep the stylis clean and this should help any tracking issues
    https://j7rewires.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out J7 Rewires

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557054222982

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast