+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is the last track of a side not play as sonically sweet as the tracks before ?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie7 View Post
    deck looks good and cartridge in about the correct position...and its a well made cartridge

keep the stylis clean and this should help any tracking issues
    Cheers Johnnie, I'm pretty meticulous to be honest although I have noticed after getting up really really close that the slight skew I applied to the cartridge in the headshell as part of the whole following arc and sitting perfectly parralllel in at the null point, might be a tad exagerated so I'll look to address

I'm Frank.

Others have pointed out various parts of it.
    There are fundamental limits to the compromises chosen when defining the 33 rpm LP disc standard (which was in its time the analogue equivalent of MP3 in a way, a cheap solution to get more time onto a disc).
    Because the rotational speed is constant the linear speed reduces from the outside to the inside of the disc, so the inner part of the record is lower-fi than the outer. All pivoting arms introduce distortion which varies from beginning to end of the disc, being instantaneously zero at two positions on the disc. It depends on the alignment standard chosen but tends to be at its worst at the beginning and end of the disc side.
    Parallel tracking arms address the second part of the problem, though most introduce other compromises, the first shortcoming is inherent in all grooved records.

I'm Mike.

Default Why is the last track of a side not play as sonically sweet as the tracks befor

Just doing some quick calcs:
    Groove speed on the first track:
    Circumference ~ 88cm ~ 1.8sec/rotation(@33.3rpm) ~ 48cm/sec

Groove speed on the last track:
    Circumference ~ 38cm ~ 1.8sec/rotation(@33.3rpm) ~ 21cm/sec

Even not taking into account angle errors this says a lot...
    Hope i did my math correct!

Regards / Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12