+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gapless replay of segue tracks

Default Gapless replay of segue tracks

Dear friends,
    Perhaps some of you have already faced this problem before.
    I have recently acquired a file server which also plays CDs and rips them to itīs internal memory. The software, according to the manufacturer, was develped by a third party.
    When you reproduce a CD which has SEGUE tracks--music is continuous although track number changes--it plays perfectly. But when you rip it to itīs internal memory those same tracks are played with very annoying interruptions of a fraction of a second between tracks.
    For a unit that costs about US$9000 this seems unacceptable.
    For the time being I would like to keep the brand name anonimous since I have asked the manufacturer to deal with the problem and have not heard from him yet. Perhaps he will propose a solution. A software upgrade?
    Anyway, I would very much like to hear from any of you on the subject.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Moyses

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by moyses View Post
    For a unit that costs about US$9000 this seems unacceptable.
    I think you have been robbed
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Richard.

It maybe that they will provide a firmware upgrade. I had this problem with the Pioneer N-50, but they have recently issued a firmware upgrade that solves the problem. It seems that manufacturers are not tuned into the need for gapless playback - I put it down to a focus on pop music where (mostly) one track = one complete piece of music. That approach doesn't work for, say, opera.

- Richard.
    Pioneer N-50; Lakewest MDAC Premium Fusion; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s; 2xAE subwoofers; Isotek GII Sigmas

Richard,
    Thanks for your reply.
    It gives me some hope that perhaps the same will also happen in my case.
    I am a great fan of opera and classical music in general so you can imagine my surprise when I discovered the problem.
    Someone has pointed out to me though that there are many pop albums like, e.g., Abbey Road, that have segue tracks, and many others it seems.
    If this is true, i.e., if segue tracks are more common than we classical music lovers think then itīs hard to understand why any audio manufacturer would sell a product which does not perform correctly.
    Perhaps my friend who says "the only certainty about Hi-End audio is that it will cost you a fortune, is right?
    Moyses

+ Reply to Thread