+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shure m91ed. new old stock

I'm richard.

Default shure m91ed. new old stock

Hi there. I've just ordered this from ebay, cant wait to try it! If it sounds as good as my m75ed i will be well pleased but as it has a new original shure stylus and my 75 has a generic it might even be better

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The 91ED with original thin-tube cantilever to my ears was always better than the 75-ED, having compared them directly. I have no idea why and it's so long ago now...

Enjoy the 91ED, I think it bridges the gap between the 75ED and the V15II Improved, upon which tech these two are derived and descended I believe..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The 91ED with original thin-tube cantilever to my ears was always better than the 75-ED, having compared them directly. I have no idea why and it's so long ago now...

Enjoy the 91ED, I think it bridges the gap between the 75ED and the V15II Improved, upon which tech these two are derived and descended I believe..
    That's nice to know thank you. Will report as to how it sounds wen i get it. Im like a big kid! LOL

I'm Paul.

I like the 91ED too, and agree it's a step up from the 75ED. I like the 75ED but it's always seemed a bit darker sounding and a little rougher around the edges. Better still, and much closer to the V15III is the 95HE. As rare as hen's teeth but when fitted with the "He" stylus (check any being advertised as often they're fitted with the standard elliptical rather than the much better hyper elliptical) you'd be hard pressed to tell one from the V15. In fact, compared with the standard V15 using the VN35e, the 95He is the better cartridge IMHO. One reason for this is that both use a very similar (if not the same?) generator assembly but the 95 uses a better stylus than the standard elliptical VN35e. 95He's in really good nick with genuine low hours go for between £70 and £100. They can be fitted with the Jico SAS stuylus and in this guise they're still up there with some of the best MMs going IMHO.

I'm MYLES.

Where do they sit in the MM division with the hyper-ellyptical stylus fitted?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I disliked the M95-ED since in many decks it sounded thin and hard toned. The 91-ED just "flowed" better for some reason.

Interesting about the HE styli. I've only heard what one of these did for a V15 III - wonderful transformation into a lean, but airy and very clear sound, and hope this is what the HE does for the 95 as well

Shure were mad discontinuing all their styli after the rather nasty "Encore" ones. I bet they could have made a tidy living from selling styli for their cartridge ranges - maybe a slimmed down range but still... The millions of Shure cartridges there must be worldwide.....

I'm Geoff.

The M91 ED was one of the few Shure cartridges I actually liked. It was smooth and detailed and of course it tracked well. I have a Shure M91 MG-D in my Dual 1219, this is the original dedicated fit version. Needs a new stylus though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

I disliked the M95-ED since in many decks it sounded thin and hard toned. The 91-ED just "flowed" better for some reason.

Interesting about the HE styli. I've only heard what one of these did for a V15 III - wonderful transformation into a lean, but airy and very clear sound, and hope this is what the HE does for the 95 as well

Shure were mad discontinuing all their styli after the rather nasty "Encore" ones. I bet they could have made a tidy living from selling styli for their cartridge ranges - maybe a slimmed down range but still... The millions of Shure cartridges there must be worldwide.....
    I'm not a huge fan of the 95ED, prefering the richer balance of the 91ED but the 95He is a very different proposition altogether and as decribed, very very hard to distinguish from the V15 fitted with the VN35He or the VN35Mr come to that. Tracks brilliantly too.

I'm David.

Makes me wonder if it was "just" the tip profile in all this?

I'm Paul.

Makes me wonder if it was "just" the tip profile in all this?
    Pretty sure that was the only difference. Stylus profiles can make a very significant difference to detail and tracking. The other thing I'm very mindful of when comparing cartridges is that the comparison becomes less meaningful if they are auditioned on different decks/tonearms/phonostages. Shure's cartridges of the 1970's and 1980's don't have a track record of being hard or thin sounding, quite the opposite I think is true, and whilst I'm not a huge fan of the 95ED, it'd not hugely different to the 91ED, differences IMHO are by degrees. The 95 I think had a little more detail and wasn't as rich sounding. It lost a little of the "lushness" of earlier versions like the 75 and 91. Bear in mind that it uses a similar, if not the same generator assembly as the V15 and was the closest of the Shures to the V15. Superior IMHO to the M97 which replaced the V15.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast