+ Reply to Thread

Thread: upgrade route for TC-7520SE Caiman

I'm Graeme.

Default upgrade route for TC-7520SE Caiman

Hi

I have the TC-7520SE Caiman, no upgrades, I bought this last year from StanB.

I am looking at upgrading this cracker of a DAC (not buy a new unit).. so anyone know what I can do to this? bearing in mind I am not an electrical engineer

ta
    I can whistle with my fingers, especially if I have a whistle.

I'm Rich.

Going off the last time I heard it I personally wouldn't do anything with it and perhaps try adding a V-Link or hi-face into the equation instead. It seemed quite happy with my V-link II if I recall. I was initially skeptical about converters but it took my laptop audio to the next level.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Going off the last time I heard it I personally wouldn't do anything with it and perhaps try adding a V-Link or hi-face into the equation instead. It seemed quite happy with my V-link II if I recall. I was initially skeptical about converters but it took my laptop audio to the next level.
    I will speak to you about this tomorrow

I'm Gary.

Can always go for the Gator board Graham if its not in there already.
    Swapping out the opamps can make a worthwhile improvement too.

Can recommend a few if you want to go down that road.
    Lists of threads on here from a while back with recommended mods for your StanDac.

I'm Steven.

Go for the Gator upgrade, I believe Stan has a new batch due to the current revival of the Caiman. An absolute no-brainer and can be apllied by anyone that owns a screwdriver.

In addition try a linear Mark Grant psu and/or the cheap S/Booster. You can find its reviews in this forum.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by Fi-Wi View Post
    Go for the Gator upgrade, I believe Stan has a new batch due to the current revival of the Caiman. An absolute no-brainer and can be apllied by anyone that owns a screwdriver.

In addition try a linear Mark Grant psu and/or the cheap S/Booster. You can find its reviews in this forum.

I've contacted Stan and he's awaiting a few of these coming in, so am on the list.

cheers for the replies also.

I'm Jerry.

Feel like doing more to your Standac? Have a chat with Jimmy at Tirna:
    http://www.tirnaelectronics.co.uk/#
    A real professional and totally genuine person who once offered to drive from Scotland to my house in Lancashire to teach me soldering technique!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Definitely recommend the Gator - works fantastically with the Brio-R and has a good headphone amp as a bonus over the passive output mod - I tried a few sets of caps on this mod, but the Gator just gave that bit more "oomph" to the sound.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Definitely recommend the Gator - works fantastically with the Brio-R and has a good headphone amp as a bonus over the passive output mod - I tried a few sets of caps on this mod, but the Gator just gave that bit more "oomph" to the sound.
    well other than that and a tacima mains conditioner ordered today, that's it this year for upgrades anyhoo.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Nice one Graeme - sit back and enjoy the music - it's what it's all about!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread