+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New DAC and Headphone amp for my office

I'm Howard.

The reason for linking to his profile page rather than a particular product is that you can always find any products he's selling when you click on it rather than trying to find an individual product that's only there for a short time.

I'm Nathan.

Default Pulled the trigger

Hi,

Thanks for all your input, I was particularly interested in the Ifi desktop items and spent some time looking at their line up, and spotted yesterday that they have an online dealer in Ireland. The other dac and headphone amp I was thinking of trying was the Epiphany Accoustics offering.

However, I ended up going for something I had been looking at before I started the thread:

http://box-designs.com/main.php?prod=headboxds&

First of all, I really fancied trying something made by Pro-ject, and second of all Audioaffair were having a 10% off sale.

The lack of any real reviews out there on this unit made that a bit risky, but the DAC unit they have at this level is meant to be fairly decent, and the head box headphone amp, which must surely share the same implementation, has been well received, so I am hoping the combination is a winner.

If my choice turns out to be a disaster, AOS will be the first to know

Nathan
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by technobear View Post
    For a budget up to £300, the iFi Audio iDAC should be on your list:

http://ifi-audio.com/en/iDAC.html

Seems to be getting a lot of positive feedback right now. There's a future upgrade path for this one too as you can later add the iUSBPower and iCAN.

For less dosh I can recommend the Arcam rPAC. Plays very well with my Audio Technica ATH-M50's

What are your headphones?
    Hey Chris,

The Arcam would probably be a good match for the fairly efficient headphones I use in the office: Sony MDR-7506
    I also use a pair of Sennheiser HD600s. I cant really use those in the office given how open they are. The Sonys are very good and are very suited to extended listening, as I do when in work.

Nathan

Nathan.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Innit typical of human beings, especially HiFi enthusiasts in this instance... Post a question while knowing the answer beforehand, yet allowing all and sundry to waste precious time typing furiously away at possible solutions

Glad you may have found what suits you best anyway
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Innit typical of human beings, especially HiFi enthusiasts in this instance... Post a question while knowing the answer beforehand, yet allowing all and sundry to waste precious time typing furiously away at possible solutions

Glad you may have found what suits you best anyway
    Oh don't be like that. All the comments gave me pause for thought and those items I highlighted did receive a lot of my attention. However, none of the suggestions grabbed me in such a way as the spec and form of the item I eventually went for.

I can't be accused of not listening to the folks on here, as all other items in my setup have been purchased either from fellow AOSers or on the advice of fellow AOSers.

Nathan.

I'm tony.

looks like a nice bit of kit let us know how it settles in....also how it compares as a dac independently would be useful.....best of luck-nice to see a bit of trailblazing, hopefully it can be placed on a few of the troops wish list if it hits the mark.

I'm Chris.

It's a smart looking unit. I wasn't previously aware of it.

Available in BLACK too - unlike the iDAC
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by RochaCullen View Post
    Oh don't be like that. All the comments gave me pause for thought and those items I highlighted did receive a lot of my attention. However, none of the suggestions grabbed me in such a way as the spec and form of the item I eventually went for.

I can't be accused of not listening to the folks on here, as all other items in my setup have been purchased either from fellow AOSers or on the advice of fellow AOSers.

S'all right, I'm quite used to it after so long in the industry and I wouldn't keep returning to spout my stuff if I didn't enjoy it, despite the efforts of a banned member taking the pee elsewhere
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambaud View Post
    I have the Teac UD-H01 (plus various FiiO DACs).

I thought it pretty good value at £230, but I saw it advertised at £150 ( a few months ago) which is/was a bargain , IMHO.
    I also have a UD-H01 and am extremely pleased with it - I don't use the headphone output very much but it drives a pair of Grados to unhealthy levels with no problem.

As a dac it's great - the USB input (once you have the Teac drivers installed) works a treat, and sonically it hits a bullseye across the board with what I feel is a very neutral presentation. It's the first dac I've owned which I'm in absolutely no hurry to move on.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345