+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New DAC and Headphone amp for my office

I'm Nathan.

Default New DAC and Headphone amp for my office

Hi All,

I recently sold my gator'd Caiman, as I fancied a change. Lets face it, you wont go far in this hobby if you bought just one thing and never moved from it.

So anyway, I've been looking around and the things that have caught my eye so far are:

• Pro-Ject Head Box S Headphone Amplifier + Pro-Ject DAC Box S
    • Pro-Ject Head Box DS Headphone Amp
    • Musical Fidelity VCAN 2 DAC and Amp bundle
    • Teac a-h01

I have a budget of about 250 to 300 and don't really want to go much over that.

How are people getting on with the Teac DAC and Headphone Amp that recently went for buttons on richersounds?

Does anyone have any experience of the Project DACs and their sound.

I currently have a Rega Ear sitting on my desk which I am running straight from the headphone out on my laptop and it isnt sounding too bad, so perhaps a USB DAC might be all I need.

All advice welcome.

Nathan
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I have a Teac DAC and it is not bad. The headphone output is however not loud enough for my own use. My 300Ohms headphones can't be used with it effectively. The other thing that is bothersome are the muting relays. They are even louder than the ones in the Caiman.
    One major problem that I found with the DAC chip in it is that it compresses and eventually distorts audio signals that are close to the maximum DAC output level.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I have a Teac DAC and it is not bad. The headphone output is however not loud enough for my own use. My 300Ohms headphones can't be used with it effectively. The other thing that is bothersome are the muting relays. They are even louder than the ones in the Caiman.
    One major problem that I found with the DAC chip in it is that it compresses and eventually distorts audio signals that are close to the maximum DAC output level.
    Thanks Stan,

I've read some positive reviews and some negative, but its always good to hear it from someone with ears you can trust. Next best thing to hearing it yourself I suppose.

Anything else you've tried out lately that does the business?

I had to rule the Bushmaster out as it does not have a USB input, and I need one of those for the sake of convenience in the office.

Nathan

Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by RochaCullen View Post

I had to rule the Bushmaster out as it does not have a USB input, and I need one of those for the sake of convenience in the office.
    If you are not in a rush then perhaps hang on till the BM with USB is ready. Still some moths to go though.
    I am also developing a USB office DAC for headphone users. But again, that is a few months away.

As for other DACs that I have heard: there were many but because i never made any notes I don't remember what was what sound wise.

I'm Bernie.

You could try a BM and MF V-Link II.
    Bernie.

I'm Nathan.

The VLINK might be a good idea, it would be handy for my main system as well as my Audio Note DAC is S/PDIF only.

Nathan.

I'm alan.

I use an Epiphany Acoustics E-Dac in my office system works very well,should give your Rega Ear a bit more detail...

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by alan47 View Post
    I use an Epiphany Acoustics E-Dac in my office system works very well,should give your Rega Ear a bit more detail...
    Excellent, that was another DAC that I had considered previously, but had forgotten all about.

Nathan.

I'm Nathan.

Default Sample Rates

One thing I was wondering was, am I fooling myself if I even consider getting a USB DAC that samples at anything above 44 kHz?

Nathan.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by RochaCullen View Post
    One thing I was wondering was, am I fooling myself if I even consider getting a USB DAC that samples at anything above 44 kHz?
    Nope, the USB version of my DAC (Audial Model S USB) works up to 192kHz, and you could always look at something like the Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 (if your DAC choice supports it of course).
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast