+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Time to replace my AT33-PTG, but what with?

I'm Andy.

How you getting on with it now Dave?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Richard.

Hi Dave,
    Many thanks for your input here. That's given me a lot of food for thought. I have damping set very slightly on the high side so I will try reducing that and then have a go at bringing tracking force back to a level within the recommended spec and altering VTA accordingly. I've never known a cartridge to take quite so much fettling, and as you say, the bias required is higher than I've ever known too.

I'll give that a go this week and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
    Rich

I'm Ant.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    Hi guys,
    Like a few of you at the time I got my hands on a bargain AT-33PTG in around 2008 for around £180 delivered. It's given me many hours of listening pleasure but is now sadly worn and sounding a bit rough, so time for a replacement.

Just wondering what other people moved on to from here. Looking at current prices it seems that you need to spend £400+ just to remain at the same level which is a bit painful. Anyone know of any current bargains, or recommend a good move. I've been pondering an Ortofon 2M bronze or black, but the move back to an MM from an MC seems dangerous. Anyone else done this?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

The deck is a Well Tempered Classic BTW.
    I now use an Audio Note IQ2 after several more expensive MC's over the last 10 years. Happy to report excellent sound quality on my Pink Triangle Anniversary......with the added benefit of ease use with a valve phono stage.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    If you're settled then PLEASE don't beggar about on my account BUT-----

I have your cartridge's ancestor, an M25 FL Super, and find that 1.6 to 1.7 gives the best balance, the 1/10g difference being equal to a mm or two VTA at the pivot end. Perhaps you could try taking tracking force down to 1.8g or so and taking the arm down a touch at the rear? Mine needs a heck of a lot of bias correction compared to other carts I have and obviously, I haven't a clue how you'd set the damping up on your arm. I think these Ortofons are pretty well damped on their own, so *shouldn't* need loads added at the arm with luck..

Like I said, I don't want you to fart around and get a worse sound for your trouble, but so many cartridges from all makers seem to prefer the arm either level or slightly down at the back, rather than slightly up (Deccas are the opposite, but they are the exception IMO ).
    I have had 3 Ortofons and I like them all, I really liked the MC25 FL (tracking @ 1.8g) and would still have it now but an accident with one of my sons snapped off the cantilever so that was the end of that I was really gutted but by Chance Chops54 on PFM offered me a low hours Kontrapunkt B (Tracking @ 2.5g) at good price so Im very happy with that now.
    I'm sure your Ortofon will settle down try lowering the VTA as that tends to roll off the treable.
    Alan

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If you still have the MC25 FL, then the generator should be ripe for one of Dom's cantilever/diamond combos to be fitted. Good generator so well worth a retip including a new cantilever.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Alan.

Dave
    Thanks thats interesting as I do still have the body but I thought it would be an uneconomical repair.
    Who is Dom, do you have a user name and I will enquire

Alan

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Have a look at the thread 'Cartridge repairs by Northwest Analogue.' I think I have the title right. Styli are generally made telescopically, where the cantilever with diamond is carefully attached to the coil assembly (in your case). It's unlikely the coil former and mount is damaged hopefully, so the possibility is definitely there for a new cantilever to be fitted. Dominic has a range of assemblies he could fit, from simple aluminium cantilever with elliptical tip, to really advanced 'FG' line contact styli on expensive cantilevers. Got to be loads cheaper than a grand-plus new Ortofon of similar spec?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345