+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New/upgraded TC-7520 power supply?

I'm Jerry.

Your last sentence implies that linear is better, obviously you have a different perspective on it. I guess because I noticed a considerable difference changing to a linear supply for my squeezebox I anticipated that a linear may be better for the 7520.
    I wasnt having a go-just want to know which is best.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I guess because I noticed a considerable difference changing to a linear supply for my squeezebox
    What did you do for the Squeezebox psu ?
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Jerry.

Hi Peter,
    I had it made for me. Basically its a wooden box about 150x150mmm with switch on the back and 64000 uf capacitors inside. Cost £100.
    Very pleased as it seemed to open up the soundstage.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

In order to drown out the sound of engineers - installing central heating - next door, I opened up the volume a lot more than usual this morning.

'Sinatra at the Sands' followed by some Eurythmics and some George Thoroughgood & the Destroyers and the Shamen and Blur.

A mixture of mostly lossless iTunes files and a couple of 256kbps AAC from the laptop (USB).

After that I slipped on Roy Orbison's Black & White Night DVD (DVD/HDD recorder is connected via digital optical audio output to the TC-7520) and gave that a blast.

The slightly higher volumes used today helped to confirm that this unit is performing extremely well!

Please bear in mind that I have only had the LM4562NA opamps upgraded for about a week, so some of this improvement is - no doubt - due to them as well. Also bear in mind the TM3 connections fig-8 shielded mains lead which is not standard with Stanley's new power supply.

Compared to before I first bought the TC-7520, it now sounds like someone has dropped a 50 watt Sugden pure class A amp into the system without my knowledge!

I'm Chris.

chebby,

Have you formed an opinion on the difference, if any, between the old style plug-top PSU and the newer PSU when used with the TC-7520?

As Mr.B has said "The TC-7520 draws its supply from the internal PSU, not the external one. The external PSU is used to charge up the internal PSU and keep it topped up." I wonder if there's much mileage to be gained from changing from the old style plug-top PSU.
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm Jim.

Any update as to availability?
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I'm Jerry.

Have a look at this:
    http://www.powersuppliesonline.co.uk...93/default.htm
    A possible alternative?
    Jerry

I'm Gareth.

^

I strongly advise people to avoid that POS power supply.

My first PSU failed 3 months after the warranty expired. The second PSU failed after just 3 months. My third PSU now sits in a drawer gathering dust.

If you want a second opinion read this,

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61090

I'm Jerry.

Thanks Getgaff,
    Glad I asked on this forum before buying it. Craptastic is the word.
    Stan has gone quiet about the new supply, any other suggestions?
    Jerry

I'm Gary.

I use the Maplin one long recommended for the 7510

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48517

I use it wilth an after market power lead ( as thick as yer wrist!) and I find it a good improvement over the standard.
    The noise floor seems lower, less mush in the background.
    Dynamics are better too.

It can be set to 12v or 13.5v, some recommend one setting, some the other.
    Suck it n see.

I run it at 12V as 13.5v acts like a "loudness" button in my system, artificially boosting the dynamics and generally being a less subtle sound.

I'd go with this one if your looking for a PSU - it makes a good difference.

Cant comment on Stans new one - it could be better, who knows?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast